Discuss Brookhouse training centre, Cleckheaton in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

6337sean

Hi guys,

I am wanting to start a new career as a plumber. I am 25 with a degree that has got me no where, hence the wanted career change.

I have seen a combined plumbing and gas course at brookhouse training centre in cleckheaton. Has anybody used brookhouse training centre before ? Are they any good? Any negativity surrounding them ?

The course is £6500.

What do you guys think? Good value for money ? Or is there other companys out there that offer the same for less ? I live in London so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks chaps.

Just noticed you also learn how to plaster !
I been in the trade for 30 years and that is still a black art carried out at the dead of night on a full moon !

well.. i am on 16k a year, thats why i wanted to go into plumbing. I am getting the feeling that you guys think its just not worth the grief......

Piece taken from their website.

We provide a hands-on approach to learning; we mix in-centre theory and practical training with the opportunity of working alongside a qualified Gas Safe Engineer during a Guaranteed Work Placement.

I would want in writing that the work placement will involve sufficient work and experience to complete your portfolio.

They could give you a week with a company and that's there guarantee complied with, without you being able to complete portfolio.

Just be careful :)

Wow 6.5k that's a lot of money. I can't believe it costs so much.

IMO the way to do it is through having an apprenticeship and that is about 3.5years and that's just dipping your toe in the water.

Goodluck with what you do decide but for some reason I think a lot of people find theirself at a loose end job wise so I must become a plumber.
That said, I do like my job.

well.. i am on 16k a year, thats why i wanted to go into plumbing. I am getting the feeling that you guys think its just not worth the grief......

It is not all about money !
I have been there done that
100k a year but was I happy
It is all about what you really want to do at your age I used to love the trade but got to a point where I hated it ,the customers ringing at midnight on christmas eve ,missing collecting my newborn son from hospital as the business was more important !
Just decide what you want from life and go for it .
Now I would be happy to live in a van and live a hippy life with no worries !

thanks for the advice mate.... i know its not all about money, but id like to be comfortable.... il take your advice however, we get one life, money doesnt save us at deaths door.....i have no clue what i want to do to be honest, plumbing seemed like a good option, my dad ' a carpenter' has been pushing me towards it seeing what his friends make....

The average employed guy on an hourly rate may be on something like £11.50/hr, 37.5 hr week. Overtime and call outs may bump it up a bit but not big bucks and many are on that and less. The average is around 23 - 27k
At the other end on price work can get you 40 - 50k+ but the ones on that are not your run of the mill guys. They are good and fast at what they do.

Many self employed guys would be happy to get 10 grand a year. They struggle to pick up enough work and the start up costs are horiffic if you are jumping in. Most will average n the 20 - 30k bracket but for that they end up working more hours than the ships cat.
The grass is seldom greener.
If i had my time again i'd maybe wash wheelie bins for a living. Probably more money in it and definitely less stress.

Just do a lot of research and keep your eyes open.
It can be done with a bit luck and hard work but the odds are not in your favour.

well you dont want to be mentioning your degree to any college when you go looking for grants etc, youll get 0 help. you need to tag along with a builder and learn the hard labouring bits for a while then move onto evenings 2x a week or 1 day a week at your local college, for plumbing basics and by then youll know some plumbers to bully into working with not for as youll not get paid much if anything. To learn the trade you need an income alongside your learning

i think my national insurance number will flag up degree to colleges if i tried to pull the wool over there eyes.... your right , experiences is better than a piece of paper saying you can do this/that

When I had the building firm most of my clients were what I would call real businessmen from sainsburys chief meat buyer to a director at tesco and one who wrote the pick up a penguin advert all multi millonaires but were they ever happy ?
Have even had to camouflage a site toilet to keep a clients wife happy and another who said whatever the wife asks for extra you are not to do it !
Had to be on site at 4 in the morning to hang doors because the feng shui master said it was an auspicious date and time !
One day you wake up and think is mrs x`s new extension really that important ?
I guess I am an old cynic but todays world is all about self gratification and self importance or celeb status !
Follow your own feelins not what someone tells you to do .

i think my national insurance number will flag up degree to colleges if i tried to pull the wool over there eyes.... your right , experiences is better than a piece of paper saying you can do this/that
My mate has a degree and still went down the apprentiship route doing level 1,2 aqnd 3 really funny part was he still had to do the basic english and maths part too !
The system is so messed up that it seems not to matter he would have told them the truth as he is as honest as they come declares all cash too !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brookhouse training centre, Cleckheaton in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock