Currently reading:
Bottom entry fill valve for very low (almost no) pressure

Discuss Bottom entry fill valve for very low (almost no) pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dandiesel

Hi all,

I have a rather unique problem that I'm hoping someone could help me with?

I have built my own rain water haversting system to use to flush the toilet. I've used a side entry equilibrium float valve for the mains fill in my toilet cistern with sufficient air gap and weir overflow for when I have no rainwater in my tank. The rainwater tank is above ground on a raised platform outside, as the toilet is on the ground floor with flat roof above, I do not have the option of a header tank with water pumped from my rain water tank. Therefore the wc cistern is fed directly from the tank with less than 1 metre's head of water.
The flow to my cistern is very slow - approximately 1/3 litres per minute, this is not a problem for me. However my bottom entry ideal standard Univalve equilibrium float valve will not shut off. I have cleaned the filter, bleed hole, metering valve and diaphragm to no further benefit; there is an inline filter from the tank to prevent sedement causing a problem with the fill valve and the flow resitrictor has been removed on the valve's inlet.

Would I be right in assuming that there is insufficient pressure on one or both sides of the diaphragm to allow it to shut off the water?

Is there a float valve out there which would operate without pressure to open or close it? There is little room in the cistern and a ball float would not fit.

Without any other options I may have to save my pennies and invest in an on demand pump, although the cost of this may be more than I would save by not using metered water.

Appologies for such a lengthy post, I fully appreciate any advice given

Regards

Thanks to Dannypipe for the image in another post

You need something like the valves below and change the valve seat for a low pressure seat (red)

7974d1348951622-how-old-anyone-seen-these-before-img_1243.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bottom entry fill valve for very low (almost no) pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back