Currently reading:
Bender hook digging in to pipe

Discuss Bender hook digging in to pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hook on my Irvin Hilmor bender is slightly digging in to the pipe when pulling a bend. If I put insulation tape on the hook it stops this. Any one had this problem before?

I think you have the guide too far forward, in my training the tutor marked my benders I think about an inch or so back from the end of the former. I will get mine out in the morning and take a pic.

yes for me

If you look at the photo, the bottom of the hook (where it attaches to bender) seems to have virtually no movement space side to side in photo.
So to me it looks like the hook needs lower, as it can't move sideways to parallel with the pipe.
I could be wrong though. I will definitely look at my "new" Hilmor hand bender and check

All my other benders I use are British thankfully and excellent. (2 Hilmor frame benders, 1 Record hand bender). Not sure about the new in its box Hilmor hand bender until I look at it

I haven't done that pic yet, but try moving the former back a bit so it isn't right at the end

I decided to take a look at the "new" Hilmor bender I have still in its original box. Thankfully it is the old British Hilmor! :smile:
But I notice the hook on it is a bit off also, although a test bend showed no mark from the hook.
As I had previously guessed, the hook is slightly too far from the bender.
Looks to me if the hole in the yellow frame was slightly lower that would bring the hook closer and parallel with pipe
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my normal hand bender, - see the difference, - nice quality Record bender with no problems and must be about 30 years old now. Hook is nice and parallel.
image.jpg

Also found this, - my tin of lead tools and tallow when looking for the Hilmor bender! :grin:
image.jpg

And here's mine

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Shaun, your Hilmor hook also looks like it isn't flat against the pipe, same as mine.
Maybe because ours are the British made old Hilmors, they are slightly better.

Shaun, your Hilmor hook also looks like it isn't flat against the pipe, same as mine.
Maybe because ours are the British made old Hilmors, they are slightly better.

once you start to pull a bend it sits flat and yea would think the op has the new type cheap cack

once you start to pull a bend it sits flat and yea would think the op has the new type cheap cack

My Hilmor is just a spare and almost unused as was given to me free still in its cardboard box.
I did a test bend using 15mm and noticed the hook wasn't exactly parallel, but it didn't mark the pipe.

the only other thing i can think of is rubbish copper used to get a few lengths that was from spain and wouldnt do anything past a 45 ripple kink snap do everything but bend

it happens on my old benders, sometime the hook catches on the moving arm and doesnt go all the way over the pipe. if i dont check, the end of the hook will dig into the pipe leaving a nice dent. i have to close the benders slightly then push the hook all the way over the pipe to prevent this from happening.

Its not a huge dent I'll take a picture tomorrow. A piece of tape in the hook does stop it. Stops the metal on metal digging in? I have an old brittish hilmor that was marking the pipe but it turns out this was because of wear on the guide. I have purchased a new 15mm guide, for bend it, online and it pulls a perfect bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bender hook digging in to pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock