Search the forum,

Discuss Bender hook digging in to pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hook on my Irvin Hilmor bender is slightly digging in to the pipe when pulling a bend. If I put insulation tape on the hook it stops this. Any one had this problem before?

any marks/ damage on hook and does it move easy?

Make sure there is a gap between hook and backing iron, this to ensure hook can centre itself square on pipe.

The hook just seems to be digging in as with a strip on insulation tape on it, it makes no mark. No obvious sign of damage on the hook though I could try filling down?

The hook just seems to be digging in as with a strip on insulation tape on it, it makes no mark. No obvious sign of damage on the hook though I could try filling down?

Maybe take a good close look at the hook with a cutting of copper pipe against it to see if there is a high spot on the hook. If there is you could file that part, but I think you should use a round file on the edges of the hook to round them off

Thanks have you ever had to do this before?

No, never had to file the "hook" part. Had to file the formers and obviously had to use emery and steel wool on rest of parts.
I have a hand bender (Record) which I have to be careful to keep the hook in proper position or if it isn't flat to the the pipe it would leave a line. It is an excellent hand bender though.
Other benders I have are stand benders - both old proper British Hilmor and the hook is the removeable alloy lump type and has well rounded edges with age and use. Must be 50 years old :smile:
Benditnow are still the original what was the British Hilmor company and apparently the best

You may just have to lubricate the guide and the former.

Could be that the former is pulling the pipe through the guide slightly and causing the pipe to jagg on the hook.

Rub some soap or candlewax over the guide and former

You may just have to lubricate the guide and the former.

Could be that the former is pulling the pipe through the guide slightly and causing the pipe to jagg on the hook.

Rub some soap or candlewax over the guide and former
Would silicone grease do?

mine does it if im not careful how the hook is onto the pipe when i start the bend.. it can easily just rest on the pipe with one edge touching.

Hilmor are now utter pants,bend it now on ebay do the original GLM Hilmor bender

it is just one edge that is touching the pipe how do I solve this?

I just make sure that the tube is contacting the hook all the way along its length, the only time I cant get it to not dink the tubing is when im having to bend with the hook right on the very end of the tube itself so I just avoid doing that if I can

Thanks slightly filed the hook with a round file and made it a bit better. But I tried a bend with the hook from my old bender and it is still making a slight mark. So like you say it must be dragging some how. Strange how a strip of insulation tape on the hook stops it. Are hilmors now not the same as they were say 5 years ago then?

Thanks slightly filed the hook with a round file and made it a bit better. But I tried a bend with the hook from my old bender and it is still making a slight mark. So like you say it must be dragging some how. Strange how a strip of insulation tape on the hook stops it. Are hilmors now not the same as they were say 5 years ago then?

No, apparently Hilmor moved production of their benders to the far east and therefore Himor might look the same, but machining maybe not the same it appears.
But the original British Hilmor factory still makes same quality benders as they used to and spares but now under the name of Benditnow

Last edited:
I just make sure that the tube is contacting the hook all the way along its length, the only time I cant get it to not dink the tubing is when im having to bend with the hook right on the very end of the tube itself so I just avoid doing that if I can
What bender do you use?

It does pull a perfect bend with a piece of tape on the hook, guess this stops it bending in. Any one had this before? I think it is because the hook won't sit square on the pipe. Though I can't find a way of making it sit square.

The hook will need freedom of movement so that it pulls into position square with the pipe.
Maybe something could be slightly altered on the hook arm by filing it a tad to allow extra movement?

Thanks, the opening of the hook arm looks too narrow were it connects to the bender to allow it to sit back on the pipe square. Not sure of a way to fix this

You will need to put a piece of copper into position in the bender and sit and study it to see how it is faulty.
Maybe a side on photo of that set up would help for anyone here to offer modification ideas?

IMG_20160808_155802.jpg

Thats the problem the hook not setting flat so digs in when I pull a bend. Unless I put tape on the hook. Any ideas of how to improve or fix?

Attachments

• IMG_20160808_155802.jpg
    IMG_20160808_155802.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29
you sure you hook is not damaged as it looks way different to mine (looks like a hook)

It looks just as you had described. One thing I notice is the hook is too high, if you know what I mean? If the pipe was to be positioned parallel with the hook, the pipe would actually be lower.
I have a spare new Hilmor bender that looks identical, still in box, that was given to me. Not sure if is the older British built or newer foreign bender, but I will examine it and get back to you.

I think you have the guide too far forward, in my training the tutor marked my benders I think about an inch or so back from the end of the former. I will get mine out in the morning and take a pic.

yes for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bender hook digging in to pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock