Search the forum,

Discuss Basin waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanielPatrick

I am fitting a slotted basin waste which only has one rubber washer. Should I have a washer both top and bottom or could I set the outlet in jointing compound within the basin?

put a bead of silicone under the waste flange push it through the hole in basin hold in position put a bead of silicone around the waste as it protrudes then put on and tighten backnut up. wipe off excess silicone with a baby wipe.

or put a sausage of plumbers mait under the flange and fit same way scraping off excess with a screwdriver

KJ

Just make sure you put a good bead of silicon under the flange, some should squeeze out all around the flange to be sure of a seal.

and in answer to your question as to which end to put the washer on, you could probably get away with either as long as you use enough silicone, tighten to the right amount and let the sealant set - but to make sure there's no chance a glimpse of ugly black washer remaining visible after assembly i'd use it underneath.

I'd invest in a basin mate, they're about ÂŁ1.99

My tip with steel basin wastes is never over-tighten, as l learned years ago as an apprentice. I did this twice on 2 basins cracking them both ! I now as the guys above, tend to fit the washer supplied on the top side, push through basin, and i carry the plastic/nylon washers on stock to use underneath. Putting a sausage (lol) of silicon underneath it.

Just make sure you put a good bead of silicon under the flange, some should squeeze out all around the flange to be sure of a seal.
Thanks Paulus, so silicon is better than jointing compound

Thanks kay-jay, so silicon is better than jointing compound - I have Blue unniversal paste and some American Black Swan soft plumbers putty which seems similar to glaziers putty

plumbers putty is fine, or silicone. just do as described above. a jointing compound is only gonna seal the threads

you could just use one of these

mcalpine BSW1PC

Last edited:
I notice that the basin mate is 1/1/4" and the waste is 1/1/2", is this a problem?

This mcalpine is 1/1/4" is it compatable with the 1/1/2" waste I've got or do I use instead of?

basins =1 1/4 baths and sinks (kitchen) = 1 1/2

will your 1 1/2 waste fit through the hole in your basin???

doh should have picked up on that when i read it lol. as jay-kay says deffo 1 1/4 for basins or 32mm for metrically minded peeps. 1 1/2 40mm for baths and kitchens.

Thanks for clarifying, it is a standard 1/1/4" basin waste

the basin mate will be fine then. they are a very tight fit so have to put some oomph into putting it on. once on will not leak.

here's my 2ps worth

silicone bead on the top of the basin under the flange, make sure plenty comes out and wipe away excess.

Rubber washer on bottom if of good quality then mostly this is OK, if not then some silicone and should be fine.

Don't overtighten

And don't put the rubber ontop of the basin or the grating will be too proud and will have a puddle of water gather around the grating which won't be able to drain away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basin waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock