Discuss Automatic topping up bottle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backboiler

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I was working on sealed ch system today. The DHW was fed by a CWSC. The primaries were charged using a filling loop but in the cylinder cupboard there was one of those automatic top-up plastic bottle things. Is there any point? Is it redundant? Are there any precautions I need to know of for filling/draining?

Golden oldie there, auto top up bottle was for the primaries so if you have a filling loop, it's probably redundant now.

It was like this
Topup bottle.jpg

It's something I do if sealing an old system. Instead of filling with a loop use a top up bottle, keeps the pressure nice and low.

They were one of the first ideas for sealing heating systems. :)

One of the old hands at a firm I worked for, went to a job where there was no hot water (gravity heated cylinder coil). There was a hopper in the corner of the bedroom at high level. This was an old method used before F&E tanks became the norm.
He borrowed a watering can and started filling the hopper, he poured gallon after gallon in and it still emptied. Then he heard the scream from downstairs, water pouring through the ceiling.
There was a F&E tank in the loft. The hopper had been disconnected years before, and the pipe left open-ended under the floor.

One of the old hands at a firm I worked for, went to a job where there was no hot water (gravity heated cylinder coil). There was a hopper in the corner of the bedroom at high level. This was an old method used before F&E tanks became the norm.
He borrowed a watering can and started filling the hopper, he poured gallon after gallon in and it still emptied. Then he heard the scream from downstairs, water pouring through the ceiling.
There was a F&E tank in the loft. The hopper had been disconnected years before, and the pipe left open-ended under the floor.

they wasnt before f and e tanks but a way to cut costs by a company called servo warm no main or overflow to run and no need to enter the loft but hey it worked provided you filled it every 6 weeks they also had no motorised valves on their fully pumped systems using a manual flowshare valve
in some ways servo warm were in front of there time the boiler that was hiden behind a rad was one of the first balanced flues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Automatic topping up bottle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock