Discuss At wits end with cast iron rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi chaps

i hope someone can impart a bit of advice to me.

Spent all all morning trying to fit a cast iron rad. All corners nicely sealed except one which has a very very slow drip. Have tried compounds, ptfes, lsx etc has anyone else got any ideas as it's driving me nuts.

Thanks as ever

matt

Last edited by a moderator:
or even gas ptfe! thats a bit thicker, cany you get it in white, as yellow would look awfull!

remember fitting a towel rail before and one of the tails were leaking, just plain box standard towel rail with standard angled valves, nothing fancy, but not cheap quality, i tried everything , was told to try hemp and boss white and suprisingly it worked!

I remember when al i used was hemp and boss white on screwed steel pipework on site... them were the days :)

I remember when al i used was hemp and boss white on screwed steel pipework on site... them were the days :)
Yeah get home stinking of linseed oil and every clown asking you have you been doing some glazing today

Another hemp and paste here.first paste for me then a thin strand of hemp wound on the same direction as you would ptfe, starting from the end of the thread..

Last edited:
Boss white for rad tails is the best & will often seal after hot water heats it.
If you have very few threads - ptfe is not great. I agree that hemp (flax, as I call it) makes a garanteed seal, but I hate that it seizes rock solid.

Locktight. 55 and a smudge of jet blue for luck

I normally would say Jet Lube or Jet Blue, but i bet ordinary Boss White paste is king for sealing heating threaded joints. It oozes oil out of it when very hot & seals a still leaking joint later, I have seen.

Thank you all of you. Really appreciate it. Got a couple more ideas there to try. Merry Xmas all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to At wits end with cast iron rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock