Discuss Anyone have ideas on a decent camera? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
What's the best digital cameras at moment? By this I mean, semi pro, or maybe pro camera.
As we know, some camera phones take excellent photos, but for really good quality photos capable of being enlarged to at least A4 size & also taking snaps of fast moving things, like in sports or kids, etc, a quality real camera with large sensor is best.
Been looking at the Sony A6000 but wonder should I go full frame camera?

Depends on what you want to do with the images.
More Mp means larger images, great if you have to fill a bill board...

If your a happy snapper or semi pro then look at reviews somwhere like DPReview, they have all bases covered.

Do you need good low light if so then you need something like a f1.4 up on a dslr.
Are you doing time lapse then you need a remote shuttter control and rock solid tripod.
The scenarios are endless

Personally a good all rounder is the canon powershot G series.

I shot canon dslr

Heres a one of the tyne on a 2 minute shutter with a 10stop filter ;)
pe6equda.jpg

And heres one of an iconic newcastle landmark that some corrupt ba$tard gave permission to flatten.
Taken with a super wide angle 12mm lens on a full frame body. Hence the distortion to look like the hull of a ship.
razy8agy.jpg

:)

Thanks for reply, Newcastle Phill,
I want a camera that can produce images capable of fine detail if cropped or enlarged. Probably won't need any bigger than A4 size but possible. I also need a camera that takes distance shots using the lens & I want to be able to have manual control, plus built in wifi - so need better than a phone basic point & shoot camera.
I know the G series cameras you mention, the G11 seemed good when it first came out, but think I would prefer the GX1 model as it has larger APS sensor. Very cheap also, but mark 2 version is a lot more money.

Its a compromise.
You will get an allrounder such as the fuji bridge cameras.
But they will always leave you wanting.
Compromises are slow lenses due to what they have to do. For example shooting at 200 to 400mm you will struggle to get faster then f4. Often f5.6.
Which means unless its a brilliantly sunny day your gonna struggle to get pin sharp detailed images hand held.

Also with a dslr shooting prime. There may be between 5 to 8 lenses/optics in the barrel.

With an all rounder with a huge do all lense there maybe upto 25 lenses to deal with the focal range and barrel distortions etc.
Then theres noise......

Personally id take a second hand eos 1ds mk2 or even mark 1 dslr body with primes over an all rounder any day.

The Mk1 may be "only" 11mp lol.
But each and every one of those is beautiful and detailed and to die for

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some examples of whats do'able with a DSLr.
Most of those would just be unobtanium with anything else.

As I said horses for courses.
I used to go mountain biking all over with 2 grands worth of camera gear in my back pack. Used to weigh 16 pound and keep me fit lol.

6edyjajy.jpg
vavegahe.jpg
epu8e4yt.jpg
e5era8ab.jpg

Ps with the strawberry shot that isnt a hair lol. Just managed to drag the stylus on my phone while cutting and pasting from an album

Last edited by a moderator:
Best, im no expert in photography but I do a fair bit of it for my fishing trophy shots. The lens just as important as the body. If you want a dslr then without spending a fair bit of money you wont get a full frame sensor so bare that in mind when you get lenses as the crop factor from the sensor will change the focal length. I would go for Nikon or Canon. As said before you don't need loads of megapixels. I use an old Nikon dsl with 6mp and this is fine unless you want to blow up huge prints. Most of my pics are portraits so I use a fixed 35mm f1.8 lense and get great pictures.

Bare in mind that old Nikon lenses wont autofocus on the newer bodies if you go down the Nikon route

Tolly. Thanks for that advice - I really appreciate it (& also for everyone else's help).
I am still thinking it over about what camera, but the advice on here & from others, has been DSLR & preferably full frame although full frame apparently not essential for me.
Only major problem with that is a large camera will be a no no to carry to a great many places & I will miss a lot of photo chances.
When I get a few quid in, I will get something decent as weather is nice at moment for outdoor photos.
Really down to cost, - if I was rich, I would have probably bought a brand new camera or two without much thought.

Last edited:
Tolly. Thanks for that advice - I really appreciate it (& also for everyone else's help).
I am still thinking it over about what camera, but the advice on here & from others, has been DSLR & preferably full frame although full frame apparently not essential for me.
Only major problem with that is a large camera will be a no no to carry to a great many places & I will miss a lot of photo chances.
When I get a few quid in, I will get something decent as weather is nice at moment for outdoor photos.
Really down to cost, - if I was rich, I would have probably bought a brand new camera or two without much thought.
Once you see what you get from a half decent dslr you will carry it eferwhere. The size will suddenly not seem like such an issue and then you will feel naked without it round your neck. My wife picked up a canon eos 1100 on ebay for less than £160 with a case an 8gig high speed sd card and image stabilised 18-55 canon lens. By no means a pro camera but perfectly capable of achieving great photos. Its the photographer that creates the shot not the cameta that takes it. Having said that you do need something where you can be actively in control of the shot your taking. So full manual, shutter speed priority or f stop priority are all esential controls that your average snap camera and smart phone will at best simulate. I love the accesibility of digital but I am glad I learnt on a film slr and developing my own prints there is true magic involved that is lost in the digital age. I used to cherish a frame of film and was much more discerning of what i chose to shoot. Now you can shoot as many frames as you like. But there is just plain more skill in getting the shot you want with a rifle over a machine gun. Perhaps not the best analogy. I hardly take photos anymore but I do on occasion miss the days of my photography gcse and the darkness and red lights of a developing lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone have ideas on a decent camera? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock