Search the forum,

Discuss Advice sealing leaking shower ? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I have a leaking showing base. It’s a solid base not plastic and the walls/screen are 300mm wide plastic cladding.

It looks like the cladding comes down onto the base not behind it which I think is correct.

The leak is between them both going around the shower.

What is the best tool to remove the existing silicone?

I am thinking of removing as much as possible and even fitting a piece of plastic quadrant to improve it as well.

What do you guys recommend? It looks like cladding has been left short of the base hence piece of quadrant makeup.

Thanks

There should be a 2-3 mm gap between the top of the base and the bottom of the panels. Quadrant is not great as it often leaks without showing the leak, but can be necessary when working around whatever mess the original installer left you with when you are repairing or replacing something. Sometimes you can get away with forming a wide bead using silicone to cover the gap. Silicone never lasts as well as it should when the gap is wrong or the bath/tray is improperly supported, but what can you do?

Get as much off as you can with a craft or Stanley knife and perhaps some traditional razor blades or similar and then the remnants with silicone eater/remover and possibly very fine wire wool. Clean with microfibre cloth if you have one. If there is grout where there should be silicone, you're in for a long afternoon and you'll be blunting a lot of blades.

This is (can be) a horrible job that I suspect most customers would not want to pay the full price for.

Reply to Advice sealing leaking shower ? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock