Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for what to next... in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning all,

my copper pipes over the house (radiator pipes turning green, sink holes green stains) have green staining and my outside tap Copper pipe work is now turning white!
What can be causing this?

also my house heating pump next to water tank in airing cupboard is Grinding / humming loudly randomly... it sounds like when you turn the heating on we often ask has someone put the heating on! stays on for 10-30 mins then off - then again about30-60 minutes later it does it agin,

my family have coughs, sneezes, tummy complaints but my wife thinks I’m mad! Lol

Thanks in advance!

Are you on mains water or a ground source ?

as for the pump sounds like it’s gone and needs replacing

No, the green and white stuff will not get into your drinking water. It’s on the outside of the pipes, not the inside. Outdoors over time copper naturally turns green in the atmosphere. There is much info on the internet on the chemistry. Outside it seems to take a good 20+ years typically to go green, and in my experience longer than that indoors - are your pipes really old?

If the green is just little patches, it may be whoever installed the pipes didn’t clean off flux etc.
I don’t think it’s doing any harm, and it shouldn’t do you harm either. But if the pipes are not very old it might point to you needing more ventilation in the property.
[automerge]1592670544[/automerge]
But a further thought - if this green is appearing quickly, it might point to more sulphur than normal in the air in your house, which could come from leaking drains, or if you have gas, a slight leak of gas or fumes. (rotten egg smell?) Boiler serviced regularly?

Last edited:
the outside pipe is white

the pipes and joints indoors are going green dark green, all pipes are about 18-20 years old

we have a leak on a joint in the downstairs bathroom radiator so minuscule of a leak though more damp patch on the join every now and again

the water tank cupboard pump is humming now I can hear it, yet the heatings off! Lol

Under tap in downstairs toilet is white stuff where water comes out of tap.

when I put hot taps on I can hear knocking

thanks for replying
[automerge]1592697166[/automerge]
the outside pipe is white

the pipes and joints indoors are going green dark green, all pipes are about 18-20 years old

we have a leak on a joint in the downstairs bathroom radiator so minuscule of a leak though more damp patch on the join every now and again

the water tank cupboard pump is humming now I can hear it, yet the heatings off! Lol

Under tap in downstairs toilet is white stuff where water comes out of tap.

when I put hot taps on I can hear knocking

thanks for replying

Attachments

• A3FBE631-ACAA-41C0-BF1F-4C4F59078774.jpeg
    A3FBE631-ACAA-41C0-BF1F-4C4F59078774.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Reply to Advice for what to next... in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock