Currently reading:
A question for Self Employed Gas Safe Engineers

Discuss A question for Self Employed Gas Safe Engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rodders

Hi,

What type of work are currently getting? Breakdowns, services, installs, rad changes?

Is there a demand for powerflushing? Do customers even know what it is and the benefits?

I'm thinking of going self employed and just wondered what type of work is most peoples "bread & butter".

If I could ask you just to give a little list of the most common calls you get from people and the type of work you are currently doing.

Thanks!

I'm getting a mix of servicing, breakdowns and boiler swaps. Plus a small amount of plumbing work but I can't compete with the cash merchants on this. I'm not interested in power flushing on it's own as it's a pain in the derriere.

I'm getting a mix of servicing, breakdowns and boiler swaps. Plus a small amount of plumbing work but I can't compete with the cash merchants on this. I'm not interested in power flushing on it's own as it's a pain in the derriere.

Thanks for the reply!

I work for a gsr, although not gsr myself. On the whole hate doing power flushes. Last one we did a fitting went under the floor. Plastic one that had never been screwed up right, but had held until we put the machine on it however many years later. Bloody nightmare. I know some see it as an earner but I just think they are hassle

im currently mainly subbying to a firm doing plumbing, heating, guttering, water mains, water harvesting. For my own work i am mainly doing leaks, cookers and fires.

I've got a fernox power flush. I use maybe ten times a year, if I'm not overly busy it fills a gap. Most people think it's a cure all for sluggish or partially warm radiators. Explaining this is not the case is challenging and as usual people think your having there pants down. Other wise servicing, breakdowns and boiler swaps and upgrades.

I just do breakdowns and emergency stuff but went to a breakdown to day and got a boiler swap , Happy days

Grass cutting fills a few days in the summer. Maybe a bit fence painting if things get really bad :wink:

Watching Jeremy Kyle[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]loose women and Deadliest catch [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

started a new job monday so far all i've done is landlord certs for vacant flats

now this may sound odd and i'm surprised to be saying it, but i actually miss tenants, cups of tea, dumb questions and the same conversation over and over is preferable to having no one to talk to for a whole week,

Last edited:
It's not just me then that seems to be doing loads of quotes to no avail. Wonder who's doing them all? In my part of the world there seems to be glut of new self employed Gsr guys. Where are they getting work? Ive been self employed 14 years, it was 2 years before I could afford a van that wasn't made completely of rust. Everyone seems to drive round in a shiny sign written van now.

It's all lease deals on new vans now. I like to stand out from the crowd in my 26 year old land rover.

As I know what I'm heading out to do I can keep a good basic kit on the wagon and take extra tools as necessary. If I've got a really big job on I can hitch my trailer on. It's surprising how much gear you can get in the back of a 110.

Mainly combi repairs and swaps, the odd fire installation and this week am fitting a new bathroom suite and tiling it all....and it's ten years since I tiled anything but works work. Got to agree with the shiny new sign written van thing, things are still fairly busy for me but i lose the occasional job to the housing association lads and have even lost one to the local fire brigade....work that one out !!!!

Mainly combi repairs and swaps, the odd fire installation and this week am fitting a new bathroom suite and tiling it all....and it's ten years since I tiled anything but works work. Got to agree with the shiny new sign written van thing, things are still fairly busy for me but i lose the occasional job to the housing association lads and have even lost one to the local fire brigade....work that one out !!!!

fire man on the tools when not on duty i take it .....

Cheers for all the replys, it's interesting to see whats happening out there at the minute!

At a guess or an average how many jobs do you quote per week?

Same. But don't do bathroom suites or gas fire installs. No point no money to be made. Fire showrooms and any one with an estate car have ruined bathroom suites.

Last edited:
i give quotes over the phone usually as dont want to waste my time and money messing about , Dont do bathrooms gas fires ,powerflushing tiling and anything that is major aggro, Just did one ball valve today and change a tap , happy days

i give quotes over the phone usually as dont want to waste my time and money messing about , Dont do bathrooms gas fires ,powerflushing tiling and anything that is major aggro, Just did one ball valve today and change a tap , happy days
I don't do bathrooms fires too mate :) ha ha ha

I have done most of the stuff before and have sussed what to avoid Sometimes LOL. I remember this customer ringing me up asking how much to install a new hob , I quoted him a price and he started haggling the price. I arrived at his posh house where he had removed the intergrated gas cooker by snapping the pipe. He gave me the new hob which did not fit , I informed him the back of the worktop needed cutting out , He insists that i cut the front of the work top which i do and install the new hob and charge him double the price quoted. He then asks me to give him a lift in with the new cooker which does not fit and asks me what can we do about it. I said I could come back tomorrow and alter the existing pipework lol

My favourite is how much to fit a cooker it's only a hose. And it's been fine for twenty years without a chain/stability bracket.

I remember going to one where two girls had tried fitting the new cooker by hand screwing the new hose into the back lol with no paste or tape

One of my best was the bayonet fitted to the cooker, so if it was disconnected gas could escape freely.

Here's a new one. Custard rang to re-install his daughters gas cooker. He'd fitted new one over Hols as emergency measure and had'nt slept properly since! Punter with a consciense. Wow! (Paid me, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A question for Self Employed Gas Safe Engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock