Search the forum,

Discuss 18kW or 26kW - higher or lower says Brucie in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I currently have a 20 year old 24kW thermocompact system boiler which is costing a fortune to run.

I have 13 radiators, hive TRVs and a total heat loss of 7kW, my unvented cylinder takes 17.2kW to recharge.

The boiler I’m looking at is an Ideal Vouge Max, would the advice be to err on caution and go for the 26kW version accepting it will modulate down to 3.7kW but still oversized for DHW, or go for the 18kW version as this meets the load but with not a lot left in the tank.

Thanks

18kw or 12kw as your load is 7kw will take an extra 30 mins ish to heat the hot water etc

18kw or 12kw as your load is 7kw will take an extra 30 mins ish to heat the hot water etc

Agree. Loads of boilers are oversized, then you find out the gas pipe is too small.

I had a job in a flat where a new boiler was installed. 6 radiators and roughly a 200L unvented tank.

The new boiler was 30kw+, it was sucking the gas pipe dry. It was either in grade the gas pipe (scaffolding and knocking holes everywhere), or swap the boiler out.

Put a 12kw in, its now sized correctly for the gas pipe and the properties demand. The heating/hot water work perfectly.

Typically, if the system is balanced/return temp correct for condensing, the longer the boiler stays on, the better for efficiency.

which size of boiler did you go for?
I went for the 18kW as this matches the DHW recharge loading time of my cylinder, also in CH mode, this size will give me plenty of ’heat from cold’ headroom and the ability to add radiators in the future should they be needed.

A 12kW boiler was a good suggestion and one I hadn’t previously considered, however, I felt the output didn’t give me much spare.

Reply to 18kW or 26kW - higher or lower says Brucie in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock