Discuss yes i am wrong in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

erj

Gas Engineer
Went to service a baxi BBu today, boiler burner was cracked, boiler case was baddly chroded, every thing else was fine.
should have recomened a new boiler soon, or at leaset get a new burner. BUT customer is 84, his wife was up stairs dieing of cancer and you could see they had nothing, (charged £20.00 for service). Yes iam wrong for not saying any think, but what would you have done?

Did you go back and fix that ballofix
Don't confuse him, he'll be asking what a ballofix is next.

Wonder what erj ended up doing with regards to this old couple?

Don't confuse him, he'll be asking what a ballofix is next.

Wonder what erj ended up doing with regards to this old couple?

It is a tricky situation I can see why he did it and it was done not with malleus but with a good heart
But it was and is a problem that needs sorting ASAP
And I'm sorry that I went off topic

Note the model of it, post it on here incase someone is ripping one out and has the usable parts! Pretty sure you'd only be asked for the postage.

This may or not be handy to you guys if in the same situation. Most social services either operate or know of people who will make a one off payment to help people who are in dire need of small financial help for cooking or heating.

I used to use this occassionally when having to cut people off for various reasons but you'd have to track it locally.

I can understand being appreciative of the pensioners situation but there are generally some charities who would help or know of people like age concern, cab (they've also helped me a couple of times to help others) etc.

An engineer worked for me once and ignored the obvious asbestos so he could change the pump because the women was cold and pushy; he said he knew it was asbestos but he wasn't bothered himself so thought he should get a medal for his bravery and service beyond the call to get the heat on.

We paid for the asbestos cleanup, disciplined the guy for being a pillock and risking lives and took the customer off contract as she knew it was asbetos and still pushed him to do it.

If it's wrong it's wrong, we know it so we just need to find another way with these problems, but in hindsight I guess we all know that.

Best to find a reason to go back round, check the appliance and put the situation right I reckon.

I will probably have a burner for it, I have around 10 in the store (Im a hoarder), I dont think people should be offering discontinued stuff in an open forum though? Perhaps Mr Croppie, nice chap that he is will confirm this?

Mmm.......

Difficult one. I think the difference here is that any parts used are soley as an interim repair to get the old folk out of a bind until a permanent solution can be provided.

Erj would obviously need to thoroughly test the bbu to ensure it's functionality and safety but with the caveat it would only be temporary.

there are better minds than mine that could probably advise on the legality!

I've spoken to loads of rgis who think there's a bit of legal ambiguity around fitting second hand parts. As long as they're in fair condition and everything is tested after it's perfectly kosher.

On my recent acs resist the trainer was adamant its illegal to refit any 2nd hand gas part or appliance! He also said the reconditioned stuff was illegal too! But I also, keep stuff spares off boilers, normally just to test other parts etc! I reckon if its inspected & tested correctly then there is no harm. But that's for the Rgi to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to yes i am wrong in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back