Discuss XPress fittings, pros and cons. Opinions please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Deleted member 96286

Esteemed
Plumber
Hi, looking at getting into press fit fittings as I like the speed that they can be installed on copper, and without a flame, or a big ugly plastic or compression fitting. They look great and earth continuity is maintained and are tamper proof on copper. The fittings are also inexpensive.
Apart from the expense of the press fitting tool, I'm looking for pros and cons of the press fit system. I'll only be using 15mm - 28mm.
Opinions please, before I spend my cash.

Correct they can't rotate due to the m profile

I'm not saying you can't force them round but I wouldn't like to

So there is no movement in these joints and can't be rotated like pushfit? Reason I'm asking is that I've cut into lines in boiler rooms with these fittings already on the pipe work and they have rotated, but still kept their seal.

I've seen them pass a test but not been pressed :D

Ah. So press fittings are a metal to metal seal? Perhaps I'll withdraw my main objection then.

That said, the fact that there is an o ring is a concern as how will you ever know if the copper seal if doing its job or if you are relying on a bit of rubber that will eventually degrade?

Ah. So press fittings are a metal to metal seal? Perhaps I'll withdraw my main objection then.

That said, the fact that there is an o ring is a concern as how will you ever know if the copper seal if doing its job or if you are relying on a bit of rubber that will eventually degrade?

Yes

Geberit have a 25 year warranty on the fittings so if anything goes wrong it's upto manufacturer aslong as it's fitted to spec

Most schools and hospitals are plumbed hot and cold services in press now

Bought a second hand REMS Akku - Press machine with 15mm, 22mm, 28mm and 35mm and I've placed an order for 15mm and 22mm XPress fittings.

I've also been given a Geberit ACO 102 Press Tool on loan to try out on a try before you buy, which has the same tongs as above but for Viega fittings. I'm waiting on these fittings being delivered.

Both machines are in tip top condition and come at under £500 each.

Once I've tested both out and formed an opinion over a month, I'll post up my findings and views on what system I prefer.

Loving the machine. Took a bit of getting used to, especially as the Akku Press is very heavy. It's great for radiators in 15mm and a big bonus is that Xpress is available in Chrome fittings and these press directly to chrome pipe without having to file off the chrome plating. The machine I bought was an EBay purchase and cost me £450 including 15mm to 35mm tongs, two batteries and a charger. It's perfect for starting me off, but I'll upgrade in the New Year to a smaller lighter one like the aco 102 or REMS mini press S type.

20181221_144525.jpg

I’ve had no leaks with xpress fittings, but I can confirm that you can rotate the pipe in the fitting after pressing, although it takes a fair bit of force to do it.

I use a REMS mini press and it gets a lot of use, especially on repair works when I don’t have ages to wait for water to fully drain from pipework. I rarely do domestic jobs but have used it in those situations a few times.

Reply to XPress fittings, pros and cons. Opinions please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock