Search the forum,

Discuss Will shower pressure be less if switch to an unvented HW cylinder? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

R

ridgerunner

Hi, am getting our bathroom updated and local company suggested ditching our traditional attic CW tank/vented cylinder and pump for the shower and install an unvented pressurised HW cylinder instead. We have been told that this will not lead to a drop in effective pressure from the shower. Is this correct? The power shower gives a great output and we do not want to lose any performance.
Our mains water pressure is high as we have fitted isolation valves to the CW taps, partially shut, to stop water blasting out of the sink. We have a WORCESTER 18i traditional boiler. Small 35 year old detached bungalow with one bathroom.
david

I recently replaced my attic tank and vented cylinder with an unvented pressurised cylinder (after checking that my mains pressure was high enough) and it made an enormous difference! You should not get a drop in effective pressure and more likely to get an increase as you are no longer dependent on gravity/ height potential.

If you only had a gravity fed shower then yes, of course, almost any mains pressure/unvented cylinder will give a increased shower flowrate but the OP has a pumped shower, dont know what pressure/head pump is being used but could be anything up to 3bar at the shower so its important that a static/dynamic test is carried out on the mains supply as the pressure at the shower might only end up at 1.5/2bar which, while quite adequate, may not meet his/her expectations?

I recently replaced my attic tank and vented cylinder with an unvented pressurised cylinder (after checking that my mains pressure was high enough) and it made an enormous difference! You should not get a drop in effective pressure and more likely to get an increase as you are no longer dependent on gravity/ height potential.
More likely get a drop in performance.

Reply to Will shower pressure be less if switch to an unvented HW cylinder? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock