Currently reading:
What to replace ceiling heating with??

Discuss What to replace ceiling heating with?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

We are taking on a project. 1970s house in a village with no gas supply. The house currently has ceiling heating panels which are incredibly energy inefficient and which will need replacing with some other type of system. Most houses in the village have either oil-fired boiler and radiators or storage heaters. I really feel the cold so want a properly warm house but would like something eco-friendly if possible. I am not sure the oil-fired boiler is the beat long term option. I would be very grateful for any thoughts.

1970 house can have alot of stuff done to it. External insulation, including underfloor insulation and draft proofing are easy targets with good return on capital invested. Once you achieve this then you can decide how powerfull and what sort of heating. Solar comes in two broad varieties ..solar thermal or solar voltaic.
Ground source heating or air source heating. You also need to think about the lifestyle of the house...will it be occupied all day or empty week daytime..
this is important. Log or pellet burners can be quite labour intensive...are you hands on or a button pusher. Answer these questions on here and we will be more able to guide you. Also
being totally reliant on one source of energy ...electricity from the grid in rural areas is not a good idea when it blows a bit.

Rob Foster aka
centralheatking

This is very helpful. I am not hugely hands on, more of a button pusher, and the house will be mostly occupied- completely empty only 2 days a week but as the kids get older those empty periods will probably get longer. Thanks for your advice

Electric boilers have come along way and are worth considering also calor gas maybe a option as you are off grid, but be aware a 1970 home will need the insulation brought up to modern day regulations . Kop

This is very helpful. I am not hugely hands on, more of a button pusher, and the house will be mostly occupied- completely empty only 2 days a week but as the kids get older those empty periods will probably get longer. Thanks for your advice
How far are you going back with this house ? The best way to deliver all round heat is underfloor heating creating an insulated thermal slab this can build heat up from quite small input over a long period and convecting radiators upstairs..you really need to experience or visit an underfloor heated home to appreciate this. Then decide how to heat the system and hot water. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hmmm we weren't really planning on underfloor heating due to expense. House is 2000 sq foot so I imagine it would be pretty pricey. Any ideas what we would be looking at cost wise for under-floor heating and connectors? Does sound like best solution though! Thanks again!

A reason people installed ceiling panels and/or ducted hot air in the 1970s was that houses were built with insufficient storage space. The wall space that would be needed for traditional radiators was in short supply because it was needed for cupboards. Anyway, think about this aspect of having to live in the place before ripping out the ceiling panels. You may find that you just need to improve the insulation and controls and/or supplement with just a couple of radiators in the living areas to improve the comfort level.

I suggest you get an experienced heating engineer to visit the site and propose some options.

If you're short of money for the project, be careful about calculating the return on the investment. It's easy to spend £15k+ on this sort of exercise but it takes a long time to pay that back in the form of savings.

Chuck is correct, I am a specifier nowadays but have my boots firmly planted in plumbing & heating etc from 1982..2010. I do not know the up to date prices for individual one offs anymore. There will be plenty of experts on UKPF that will advise...if you indicate where your project is located
who knows ...Rob Foster
aka centralheatking you have come to the right place for good
informed advice

Reply to What to replace ceiling heating with?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock