Discuss What is the point! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheRedBaron

I passed my level 3 plumbing and heating certificate in June 2012 at South Worcestershire College, and since then have tried endlessly to find work with a plumber to gain my level 2 and then 3 NVQ. I live in the GL55 area and No one will take Me on! What is the point!! I used all My savings to do the course and for what??? Nothing thats what !! I GIVE UP!

Did you do any research before you parted ith your savings? Did you find out if you could gain the experience? Or did ou just pay the money and hope for the best?

The point is mate, no one wants to know because you only have college experience and you'll want proper money not the pennies apprentices are on! you have many other skills to offer though.

I along with a few other here are fast course/trackers/numpties as we're called. NOT getting into the debate AGAIN fast trackers blah blah blah, old school time served, done my time blah blah blah.

Don't give up, depends on what you need to live on depends whether you can earn a living, set up on your own........ it'll take time, double (at least) what you think to build a customer base.

When you start using suppliers, stay with one or two and you'll see the same faces, listen to the conversations, in your own mind separate the wheat from the chaff and approach them directly, say 'got anything interesting coming up?' you may get blanked but I've worked my way into a couple of excellent jobs and networked that way.

Don't be afraid to walk away from jobs either, take all the small stuff, toilet syphons inlet valves, ball valves build your confidence SLOWLY! build your tools up slowly.

Its not what you know its who you know, you may take a job on and it goes pear shape, more complicated, then it is very lonely, before you take anything to risky on its good to have a couple of mates in your phone who you can ask for help.

I have a couple of GOOD mates, the rest, well as in life they promise you the earth and deliver nothing.

Four things,

1. your up against it being a fast tracker, fact.
2. no one wants to help train the competition.
3. its way harder an industry than ANYONE will have you believe, not just work wise but paper work etc.
4. its not going to come to you, no matter how many jobs you apply for, you've got to make it happen.

On a final note, I am a fast tracker, not proud or upset by it, I just am and now I have time served plumbers calling me for work! I have people asking me for apprenticeships! I can work as quickly as accurately as a lot of time served and three and half years I'm still here.......... JUST :6:

Apart from being a fast tracker, the advice is surpringly honest and good, give the man a diploma :p (hes been here a while now so we have to accept he's ok). However Im a slow tracker (college but no apprentiship, did it at 45 and worked bloody hard since to keep the old head above water) so I'm not the perfect model either

does make me smile when I hear that "fact track" thing mentioned. By the time I take my acs I will have been fast tracking for three and a half years :banghead:

Cheer up, cannot Plumb over WiFi , Unlike Electronics-TV mending,Car Makers.

Plumbing has a future. (Even beginner Police getting less!)

Police get 19k now as a starting salay, as a self employed plumber you would be lucky to earn that after 3 or more years trading.

I passed my level 3 plumbing and heating certificate in June 2012 at South Worcestershire College, and since then have tried endlessly to find work with a plumber to gain my level 2 and then 3 NVQ. I live in the GL55 area and No one will take Me on! What is the point!! I used all My savings to do the course and for what??? Nothing thats what !! I GIVE UP!

The secret squirrel has given you some real good advice and told you how it is but it is not impossible.even when a plumber starts his own business it's very rare that they pack in there 40 hours a week on paye plumbing for some one else buy a van and start for them selfs and the phone rings.very often they work nights weekends to build a customer base before making the commitment.but if you do a good job they will tell people and the phone will ring.i always give cards out on every job a least 15 I have 2000 a year about £200.best money spent.it was about 12 months for me to build up a good customer base before my work mate of 18 years and my last apprentice of 6 years could join me but we now have a good team.but there is no way all of us could have packed are full time paye jobs in from day one as I think we would have failed.if you do go down the route of buying a van and working for yourself pm me and I will give you a number that might give you the odd job.all the best for your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is the point! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock