Currently reading:
Unusual question

Discuss Unusual question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I own this:

Rothenberger Electronic Eco Freezer Pipe Freezing Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

And I love it like a brother. I want to go to bed with it and let it freeze my bits off.

But I digress...

The contact paste that comes with it is difficult to buy. There are 2 places online I've found that do it in the UK and both a pretty unreliable and are forever delaying.

Anyway, got a job on weds and I've only a splurdge of paste left. My question is...do you reckon I could get away with using plain moisturiser?

My reasons for suspecting I can are as follows:

1) The supplied contact paste looks, feels and smells like moisturiser. It is the same thickness too.
2) It is applied to metal clamps which, I can attest, still work despite getting rust, dirty water, sawdust and other things on them. Which makes me think something that's safe for your skin is hardly going to do them any damage.

What do you reckon? Give it a whirl?

My worry would be that when frozen the moisturiser might do something to prevent freezing, actual freeze solid or explode. Or something.

Would some aluminium foil on the clamps protect them? Is vaseline not any good as I don't think it would freeze like aqeus cream or moisturiser as both contain water? Worst that can happen is you blow up the house! LOL

EH! isnt this stuff the same as heatsink paste used on computer chips?

its for transfering heat/cold over a surface where there may be voids or imperfections to the mating surface.
ie; 100% contact with clamp pads and pipe.
theres some on ebay

I have used moisturiser before as is water based, worked good and froze the moisturiser, or as quality says, wet paper towels work.

why dont u do a test run on a piece of pipe filled with water then cap at both ends

This is an electronic freezer. Doesn't use conventional technology. I tried wet paper towels, did not work. Grumpy faces all round. Must be a reason why it uses contact paste, namely it won't work without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unusual question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back