Discuss Unsafe notices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
unless the manufacturers state in writing it can be done then it must be sealed. I have attended 2 boilers this year, one a vokera boiler that had both been AR'd by the manufacturers engineer for mot being patched up outside with sand and cement

​& what about a horizontal flue through a pitched , tiled roof ?

Just referring to the sand / cement thing . I kinda think we're agreeing ( with the youtube thing ) Are we not supposed to make engineering judgements ( obviously within the regs ) In a situation like this ( tiled roof ) we're happy to rely on mechanical seals as we are with a vertical flue but a simple ' thro the wall ' set up the rubber seals aren't sufficient .

Ifyou wanted to be pedantic you could AR every vertical flue in the country on a slate or tile roof.
Roofs are not sealed. They are designed to allow free flow of air through the slates, tiles or what ever to ventilate the roofspace which means they also allow free flow of poc's into the roofspace.
It could start getting (even more) ridiculous.

This is the Gas Safe Tech bulletin on that subject, it should help

Although I cannot comment on a particular installation, it is possible to use the manufacturers supplied seal, to seal the annulus between the appliance chimney and the wall and subsequently then preventing the products of combustion from entering the building, where the manufacturers instructions permit this.

This manufacturer supplied seal must be fitted in accordance with the manufacturers installation instructions, be secure, complete the seal and the chimney itself needs to be secure.

Where instructions are unclear or other issues exist, such as the flue assembly being inadequately secure, guidance given in the appropriate Standard should be applied. i.e. the use of cement and sand should be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unsafe notices in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back