Discuss TOP TIP (oilies) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

If I havnt said it before:

CHECK THE NOZZLE is what it says on the tin. Had it again today, a .1 in a .55 pot. No wonder it was schmokin...

Thats about 5 times in the last 12 months. All from HWOS so not dodgy stock.

I found that the black ones were cracking when going back for a second service. The customers were complaining of oil smells as well. I changed them for the braided or green ones and the smell went.

Been doing that too. Using up the black ones on external boilers now.

Black hoses are scary - they crack whole way through & usually on a bend, I find.
The red hoses are good though & I have cut old red hoses that had small cracks but discovered the red is just a thin outer cover with a heavy black hose underneath.
The braided Riello hoses are poor & need replaced every year or two to be safe. Strangely the braided hoses with Electro Oil burners last & last unless abused badly.

I use the black ones because they are cheaper, custards like things cheap, but I suppose you get what you pay for.
But aren't you "supposed" to change them every year regardless??

Bunker - I like the idea of your goblin friend, where do I get one? Haha

If the oil line does not have a date stamp, it 'must' be changed annually. As far as I know, the only ones which HWOS sell with this stamp are the green bio hoses.

Date stamped long life hoses have to be replaced every 5 years. Beware of some of the black long life hoses on the market, they do not have a date stamp so must be replaced annually.

Long life hoses should be changed as required. Long life hoses without a date do not have to be changed annually - that's nonsense! The date they were fitted should be the start date and in any case common sense is required - Check the condition of the hose. Often long life hoses will start to show signs of deterioration (cracking, stiffness etc) before 5 years is up in which case they should be replaced.

Last edited:
There are no deails in any Regulations (Building Regs or otherwise etc) regarding maintenance of supply pipework other than installation requirements. Regulations only state that pipework "must be fit for purpose" but do not go into specifics. OFTEC procedures advise changing braided hoses annually and long life hoses as required or 5 years. There is no mandatory requirement to change hoses.

Last edited:
There are no deails in any Regulations (Building Regs or otherwise etc) regarding maintenance of supply pipework other than installation requirements. Regulations only state that pipework "must be fit for purpose" but do not go into specifics. OFTEC procedures advise changing braided hoses annually and long life hoses as required or 5 years. There is no mandatory requirement to change hoses.

True, but if something goes wrong, what would your insurers think?

All the oilies are fully aware of the requirements and their responsibilities with all aspects of oil.

OFTEC is a waste of space. Yes it polices its members, but does nothing against people working outside of the rules that are not members.

Yes you can install, repair and work with oil without OFTEC but you cant commission.

Somebody needs to wake up and bring all combustible fuels under the same body. After all they can all kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TOP TIP (oilies) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock