Discuss TOP TIP (oilies) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

If I havnt said it before:

CHECK THE NOZZLE is what it says on the tin. Had it again today, a .1 in a .55 pot. No wonder it was schmokin...

Thats about 5 times in the last 12 months. All from HWOS so not dodgy stock.

One of my best jobs was to remove an old tank after cust had converted to ng, they said they had run tank right down to 0 on tankmaster, and shut aga off. I had to remove aga for scrap and empty tank and decommission oil line. I ended up pumping nearly 400l of oil out of tank, that was a good day.

Had one better than that - Some developers needed an AGA and oil tank ripping out very quickly for building work to commence - how soon could I do it and could I give a price? I thought and gave them a verbal quote over the phone, allowing a contingency for unknowns and they said OK get down here ASAP as its holding work up. There was a 2,000 litre tank full to the brim! Best job ever! I got about £80 from the scrappy for the old AGA and the tank too!

Dammit Best, I was going to say that for 12mm spanner, had to use it today!
Anyone come up with a novel idea to get to the 2 x 5mm allen key bolts out, that hold in (I think) sterling burners into SE Worcester heatslaves? Possibly one of the most annoying blots to get too.
Yes, they are an awkward bar steward. I use a very small goblin with strong little arms to climb in and unwind them. Hope that helps.

Whoever came up with that method of connection for the WB heatslave boilers cannot have been an engineer. Far more sensible would have been a nut connection like for Riello burners which you can at least get a socket, extension and ratchet onto. IT's a bit like the daft angled valves on the Heatlsaves which you can't get at when you need to change them (as you invariably need to do because they are notorious for leaking) because of the lip on the air box, and also the position of them which sometimes leads to pinching off the flexi fuel line. IMO the heatslaves are one of the worst designed boilers out. They should have just used a type of burner with an air duct connection instead of that silly air box business.

Good job they have been completely redesigned, front RDB's, exp vessel swings out the way on a hinged bracket...all looks good to me :)

Good job they have been completely redesigned, front RDB's, exp vessel swings out the way on a hinged bracket...all looks good to me :)

I have just fitted one I wouldnt go for another there is too much plastic in them. The 3 port valve is plastic and there are too many sensors for my liking. If you ever get a problem that is not burner related I think it will be a call to wb for their engineer. Too many fault codes that arent listed and there is a computer jack plug in the front of it that only wb will accesd. Most pipes are pushed into o rings secured by clips. Only time will tell. Nice and quiet.

Wondered who would be the first manufacturer to have to plug the laptop into. No surprise its worcester, most of their engineers need as much help as possible.

From the sticky thread

Since then I find that the HWOS Long01 dont last more than a couple of years so I have switched to the green bio equivalent.

Interesting, I've just swapped they other way and started using the long life ones as the green ones were going hard after a couple of years :mad2:

I found that the black ones were cracking when going back for a second service. The customers were complaining of oil smells as well. I changed them for the braided or green ones and the smell went.

Have often thought about sitting oil exams, is it worth it, is it like gas where there are different levels of competence for domestic/commercial used to work on oil when I was an apprentice but haven't touched it since, there's a fair bit around here and doing the LPG I often get asked if I do oil too. And is it expensive to sit the often stuff?

Have a read rob on the tickets

http://www.oftec.org/Media/Default/DocGalleries/Registration forms/GB_Full_Application_Form_R250.pdf

Not many too it but i think the training is a touch pricey.
not to mention the registration eith oftec

A few extra tools too, flaring kit, reemer, pressure/vacuum gauges, smoke pump, oil primer and more

imho to do it effectively you need to have quite a stock of bits, hoses, nozzles, filters/elements, photo cells and such

i know one member carries 8ks worth of just oil spares

Wow 8k that's ALOT of dough but if you can rectify a fault or remedy poor spray on the spot then people will think the world of you and recommend you and your services, seeing as oil is often in remote areas where it's colder and open to the elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TOP TIP (oilies) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock