Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss There are pages and pages of debate available online in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Attempting to finally resolve the flush pipe leaking at the pan problem.

Use silicone!
Don't use silicone! Bodge!
Use the black rubber ones!
Use the clear ribbed ones!
Insert pipe half way into bung, insert bung half way into pan, face Mecca and push both pipe and cone into pan!

Why is that connections used to hold back mains pressure are so reliable but a connection to hold back a dribble is often useless?

Does anyone here who happens to have done hundreds have the final word? The full-proof method?

Cut the flush pipe to the correct length so it enters the pan at the correct angle and doesn't strain the joint. You can then use clear plastic or rubber bungs and they won't leak. Nearly every flush pipe leak I've ever attended has been down to the flush pipe being strained.

Cut the flush pipe to the correct length so it enters the pan at the correct angle and doesn't strain the joint. You can then use clear plastic or rubber bungs and they won't leak. Nearly every flush pipe leak I've ever attended has been down to the flush pipe being strained.

Have you never had one that just won't seem to seal? If the answer to that is no then I'll take that as the fool-proof method. Unless someone persuasively disagrees.

The only method that I recommend and it never leaks is to do it this way:

Cut flush pipe to size, so that when inserted into pan it is almost fully in. Mark the slip with a pencil (remove mark when finished)
Slide flush pipe and rubber sealing ring into syphon and hand tighten.
Slide the flush cone onto the flush pipe (the plastic clear flush cone, but some foreign imports require a rubber cone).
Line up the flush cone and flush pipe with hole in pan.
Put a full ring (or sausage!) of Plumbersmate round the flush cone.
Slide the flush cone and flush pipe home into the pan.
Press the plastic flush cone all round so that Plumbersmate is squeezed out. Wet finger and smooth this off or use Wonder Wipes.
Tighten flush pipe at syphon with grips, but don't overtighten.
Voila.....a leak proof connection every time!

Don't use silicone as it pushes the flush cone back out of the pan. Plumbersmate is really sticky stuff and perfect for sealing flush cones.

Think yourself lucky,years ago when I used to do school plumbing,kept getting called out to flush pipes leaking around the cone,would replace cone,silicon around,still leaking,only stopped once I replaced complete flush pipe

Turned out to be was the little sods had been using a compass and piecing a small hole in the flush pipe ,just were it enters the cone!!:hump:

Agree with Mike on this one though,and on rented properties I cut a short length of left over flush pipe and fit between flush pipe coming down from cistern and wall,this stops it being pushed out when they start banging about or come home drunk and collapse with thier head down the pan...hah....happy days :crazy:

I've never liked the ribbed plastic internal cones.
I prefer to use the rubber ones without lubrication, tougher to get in but no call backs.

Plumbing, it turns out, like a proceedure in an epsidoe of Top Gear - I forget which, but it included phrases like "I need more pump" and "the nipple is off," is 'a minefield of innuendo.'

I would imagine a call-back in the euphemised scenario would be a good thing though.

Ive now found over the years that i always throw the useless plastic ones away and always use replace with the white rubber ones. Never had a problem with the rubber ones. I even thought id try the plastic one last week when i fitted a new cistern, but it leaked straight away, confirming why i don use em.

Always use the clear ones myself little tip given to me years ago when the pans are made sometimes the internal flushpipe opening have been "glazed" as well before they are fired in the ovens/kilns so I always rough up the flushpipe opening with some emery cloth to give the cone something to grip to works for me.Regards turnpin
icon7.png

You can use any cone you like really and just rap it in denso ,usually does the trick :rockstar:

The only method that I recommend and it never leaks is to do it this way:

Cut flush pipe to size, so that when inserted into pan it is almost fully in. Mark the slip with a pencil (remove mark when finished)
Slide flush pipe and rubber sealing ring into syphon and hand tighten.
Slide the flush cone onto the flush pipe (the plastic clear flush cone, but some foreign imports require a rubber cone).
Line up the flush cone and flush pipe with hole in pan.
Put a full ring (or sausage!) of Plumbersmate round the flush cone.
Slide the flush cone and flush pipe home into the pan.
Press the plastic flush cone all round so that Plumbersmate is squeezed out. Wet finger and smooth this off or use Wonder Wipes.
Tighten flush pipe at syphon with grips, but don't overtighten.
Voila.....a leak proof connection every time!

Don't use silicone as it pushes the flush cone back out of the pan. Plumbersmate is really sticky stuff and perfect for sealing flush cones.
Thats the way to do it system, plumbers mate works a treat every time, never understand plumbers that use silicone, do they sit & wait for the silicone to dry before testing or just tell the customer, thats it fixed hen, you'll be alright now. Give us your money honey & oot the door quicker than grease lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to There are pages and pages of debate available online in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock