Discuss Tall radiator on a plasterboard wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sammyb

Hello - I am hoping to fix a tall Jago Iguana Aplano radiator to a plasterboard wall - it is 1800 tall x 300 wide. Its about 28Kg. I'm trying to avoid ripping up the plasterboard to fix batons etc.

I was planning to screw the two right side fixings into a stud and for the two left side ones to use heavy duty hollow wall anchors into the plasterboard.

Does this sound like a good plan? I'm concerned about the weight.

Sam

If you have a stud on one side the plasterboard fixings will be fine on the other side. Use "toggles" there the best for plasterboard.

110% agree with the above, done this the other day - make sure you get the "gun" though mate

Cheers for replying.

Are you referring to the fixing "gun" for the anchors? I got the anchors from B&Q and it doesn't mention using a fixing gun although I noticed in screw fix there is a goun you can get to use with the fixings.

Why is the fixing gun needed?

where u have no stud how many boards are there? Im assuming 1 or 2?

You can do them without the gun. But it is easier with the gun. You'll use it again and again once you see how good they are.

I use the method stated above withe toggle bolts and gun almost everyday to hang boilers and rads.

Best way is to get at least one fixing into a stud, dont crazy over tighten the toggle bolts either

I think i use the M5 size toggle bolts and a 10mm drill bit to piolt the hole so its nice and tight, them hammer toggle bolt in gently then operate the gun

If you don't want to buy a gun, then just use a metal washer below the head of the bolt, & a dot of oil, then tighten up until it closes the toggle properly. Takes a lot turns! Don't over tighten, as you will strip threads.

If you don't want to buy a gun, then just use a metal washer below the head of the bolt, & a dot of oil, then tighten up until it closes the toggle properly. Takes a lot turns! Don't over tighten, as you will strip threads.
You shouldn't even need a washer as bracket itself can be used to help tighten the toggle and it will expand behind the plasterboard as you tighten.

You shouldn't even need a washer as bracket itself can be used to help tighten the toggle and it will expand behind the plasterboard as you tighten.
I meant the washer behind the bolt head to reduce friction. The friction is a lot, while the toggle is compressing, that's why I suggest a dot of oil also. You are better with a washer usually, as brackets can have large holes.

I meant the washer behind the bolt head to reduce friction. The friction is a lot, while the toggle is compressing, that's why I suggest a dot of oil also. You are better with a washer usually, as brackets can have large holes.
Goes without saying as toggles come with a washer already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tall radiator on a plasterboard wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock