Discuss Stock for oil technician in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this is mainly aimed at any oil fired or oftec registered technicians out there. I recently completed my oftec training and im now just purchasing all the equipement etc. Obviously i will nedd some stock in the van for servicing etc. I trawelled the net etc to purchase a range of nozzles, suitable for class 2 fuel. Now there are 100,s of nozzles sizes etc and im not prepared to buy them all just to sit there and probably never use them. What are the most popular sizes that i should keep in stock, any help please, also any other items i should probably have to hand..... control boxes etc ?? thanks

Look up some of the manufacturer's manuals and look at the nozzle sizes there. Where there are 3 settings most times it's the middle setting and just about all the others it will be the higher setting. Sometimes you can attend a boiler and wonder why a certain nozzle was fitted when it's nothing like what should be!

From memory you'll use these within your first year: 60deg60S, 55deg80EH, 75deg80EH. I have around 10 of different sizes in the van. You'll also need a selection of flexible oil lines.

Again, from memory a mix of 1/2" and 3/8" ends of male and female. Instead of using bent male ends I tend to buy small fittings to fit into the pump then use a female end to fit as the bent male ends often leak.

I'd look for a local supplier too as well until you get some experience. The more helpful ones will give you assistance and they'll know which nozzles sell more frequently.

I do more general plumbing and oil when needed (around 12 boilers a year) and have so far had around 5 breakdowns to sort out. Oil boilers are fairly reliable and when parts are needed it is time to start thinking of a new boiler. I don't carry parts on the van as there are so many types of boiler. If I need something I take an old burner and use a part off it. If this fixes the problem then the customer pays me for the labour while the part is not guaranteed but is free. If the part I've fitted doesn't sort the problem out then I try another bit. (So far I've been correct first time though!) When I install a new boiler, if it's in good enough condition I keep the burner off the old one to use for parts.

There's another thread on here where I wrote a long list of tools, if that's of any help.

Best of luck!!

I carry photocells, control boxes, oil pumps bfp21,s will fit most boilers that arent riello, bearings, solenoid coils,water detecting paste and oil filters will do for starters I only carry one of each pump because if it stays on the van for over 12 mths then its out od warranty. Plus the usual nozzles. I carry a lot more because I do warranty work but you will get to know which to stock. Try HWOS for the best price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stock for oil technician in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back