Discuss Recommendations for cheap core drill, infrequent use, usually 40mm max in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Not so cheap it will be hard work but not overkill for couple uses a month for 40mm holes.

I've tried to core a few 40mm holes with this

Bosch GBH 2400 2kg SDS Plus Hammer Drill 240V | NoLinkingToThis

And it works but keeps locking so guess not what it's meant for. Or it's on it's way out. Or I was holding it backwards. Or it was actually a dream. Come to think of it I was being assisted by a baboon in a tuxedo.

I bought the Sparky one from Screwfix. Really good value and loads of power. I bought the Erbauer dry core drill set to go with it and both are still going strong.

I've got the Titan 5kg drill to start me off.
Its got a safety clutch and will get you through a wall without too much trouble.

For 60 -70 quid it's perfect for me as I'm just starting out. Will replace with a much more expensive one in the future. If it dies within a year then it's ok because still under warranty.

Not the most professional looking thing.
Looks cheap as hell to be honest but its a sensible option for me

Was browsing the core bits on screwfix from the above link and spotted this Plumbers core drill set
What a waste of time for a plumber. None of the sizes are useful for a plumber as far as I can see. I have a 35mm and a 43mm core for wastes and that's it, neither of which are in this set. There's a 30mm? a 50mm? and a 66mm?
And to get back on topic, I just use my Dewalt SDS very slowly to core drill, the max rating for masonry is about 25mm for my drill but I think that's based on full bore drilling and I guess it doesn't apply to core drilling. Either way, slow and steady means I still get to use the drill tomorrow :)

Try spraying water at the core when drilling, that way it cuts easier and you will get away with your drill.

Try spraying water at the core when drilling, that way it cuts easier and you will get away with your drill.

I find if the dust gets wet it packs around the cutter and jams it.
How much water should you use Kozak?

Use a drinking water bottle with a hole pierced in the cap and keep the core well lubricated. It will stick if it gets too dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommendations for cheap core drill, infrequent use, usually 40mm max in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock