Discuss Proper service??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aquariusplumb

A friend of mine just had a service done on his combi and said the guy was only there 20 mins. From what he's said I think a visual inspection, gas rate, combustion analysis, clean out condensate trap and tightness test were done. That sounds fine to me but I only really do installs so wanted to know what people think is involved on a standard combi service??

And if you go to a job where there are no M.I's? I'm only asking what is a good code of practise for servicing combis

It's quite often not possible to service a modern boiler without access to the MIs. The manufacturers will have different criteria that they wish you to fulfill.

For instance Atag boilers require you check the O2 level at maximum rate on their boilers and if it is correct only the condense syphon needs cleaning. However they also request a full stripdown on every 4th service.

Intergas like you to clean the burner every year on their service.

Most other manufacturers request you analyse and if the reading is good just clean the condense trap but some ask you to check the ignition electrodes. Without the instructions you don't know what criteria you need to be meeting.

Tell us the make and model then someone can look at the MI's to see what should be done then we can comment on doing it in 20mins, without knowing the model it's impossible to tell

And if you go to a job where there are no M.I's? I'm only asking what is a good code of practise for servicing combis

If you don't have MI and don't know the service requirements you can't do the job, I know A lot of people will do the job anyway as they have to earn money and know how to do things but some MI give slightly different peramiters

Sounds fine for a service on a new, modern condensing boiler to me. 20 minutes is quick though. My services usually take around 40 minutes for a modern condenser and anything up to an hour-and-a-half for a backboiler or old floorstander.

platinium only really fga, gas rate, gas inlet pressure, check fsd and visual checks
should really check wiring for polarity etc and get your flow cup out to check hot water flow rates as well :disappointed:

Last edited:
Those who know the boiler seem to say 20mins is reasonable, does your friend have any concerns about the job or is it just a comment on the time?
There are loads of very competent people who work on these day in day out and have it down to auto pilot mode so they can get the job done in jig time, a lot depends on FGA results found, if nice and clean result is given there isn't much more to do, and you can gas rate and FGA at the same time etc so you cans ave even more time without cutting corners

It's quite often not possible to service a modern boiler without access to the MIs. The manufacturers will have different criteria that they wish you to fulfill.

Intergas like you to clean the burner every year on their service.

Most other manufacturers request you analyse and if the reading is good just clean the condense trap but some ask you to check the ignition electrodes. Without the instructions you don't know what criteria you need to be meeting.

12 MAINTENANCE
The appliance and the installation should be checked and if necessary cleaned every
year by a registered expert.
For assembly and disassembly the following tools can be used:
1. Cross head screwdriver
2. Allen key 8 mm
3. Adjustable spanner
After servicing, complete the relevant Benchmark Service Record section located on
page 45 of this document

can we agree to disagree on that Mike, only if your readings are poor do you need to strip down.

How the hell would that work? It's a requirement that you have them and have enough info to work on said appliance! I'm always servicing bbus, u just wipe the fire and gas rate the pump? Solo just needs a Hoover - insulation pad?? Where is that then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Proper service??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back