Currently reading:
Pressure Test

Discuss Pressure Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kimou

I'm having a dispute with a gas engineer who insists that it is ok to pressure test pipework with air. I told him it's extremely dangerous. He has since asked Gas Safe and they've told him, apparently, that it's ok too.
Now I know that it is illegal unless it is done under certain conditions such as everyone has to leave the building and a complete risk assessment has to be carried out.

Does anyone know what regulation covers this so I can prove to him once and for all? I can't seem to find it anywhere but I know it exists.

Existing or new pipework? Commercial?

All ok. Legislative document for commercial is IGE/1/UP2

Strength testing pipework greater than 25mm, up to and including 150mm with a maximum operating pressure of 7 bar may be pneumatically tested.

Never vacated a building for a strength test, nor for a purge, direct or indirect!

Last edited by a moderator:
New pipework on domestic. When I was in college the tutor wouldn't divulge too much about it because of certain reactions between copper and air goes into the realms of explosives and it wouldn't be prudent of him to give too much away. He just covered the permissible basics of what or what not to do when testing. But saying that, the closest authority I can find is on the UK COpperboard site, but there's no citation attached.

Basically because air can compress and it takes a lot more air to raise the gauge, if there was a sudden drop then it can explode.

Croppie, are you referring to a gas pipe work test? Sorry, I'm meant pipework for water.

Kimou, have you been drinking?

Cos your talking absolute rubbish.

Since when does mixing air and copper make an explosion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please reread my post. I said that a tutor told me this some time back when I was in college. And it was in reference to high pressures and elements within copper.

Anyway, my enquiry is to a regulation and what is that regulation if it does indeed exist.

Regulations are all good & well. But a low pressure air test to ensure no open ends etc will not hurt!

New pipework on domestic. When I was in college the tutor wouldn't divulge too much about it because of certain reactions between copper and air goes into the realms of explosives and it wouldn't be prudent of him to give too much away. He just covered the permissible basics of what or what not to do when testing. But saying that, the closest authority I can find is on the UK COpperboard site, but there's no citation attached.

Is this the quality of college plumbing tutors these days? I bet the tutor has never done a days real plumbing!

Or maybe the student is getting a little confused or a combination of the two.
Is it Oxygen & copper (or acetylene)? I cant remember. Hydraulic tested should be employed for final tests (not N.gas pipes) Water Regulations & BS 6700 Hot & cold, 1.5 time max expected pressures.

Thanks, Chris. All I remember is him being reserved about it. It was some time back. I want something specific like a regulation that says about air testing pipe work for water and the legality of that. I'm not really interested in anybody else's nonsense on what they 'think'. It means nothing to me.

Thanks, Chris. All I remember is him being reserved about it. It was some time back. I want something specific like a regulation that says about air testing pipe work for water and the legality of that. I'm not really interested in anybody else's nonsense on what they 'think'. It means nothing to me.

If you want peoples opinion or "nonsense" then ask the question, however if you dont then look it up yourself........rude man!

Kimou, your the one speaking nonsense, why would their be any harm in testing copper pipe work with air? Think about what your asking, why would it make a difference if the pipe carried water or gas after it had been tested with air.

What your asking is " is it safe to pressure test copper pipework with air?"

The answer is yes

Your mate is right

Push fit manufactures used to ask for silly air test pressures prior to filling with water... Something like 10 bar!

I have heard they say fill with water only now tho. The danger is that air compresses, and water does not I think... Therefore alot more stored energy / risk if a fitting were to blow apart! Hence my earlier post that a light air test for open ends etc would not hurt!

your post mentions he called gas safe register? Maybe he was just air testing with a hand pump and manometer in millibars! He is not going to put water in a gas pipe!

Bangy.jpg

So you went to college 1000 yrs ago and vaguely remember being told it was dangerous to air test? And you are now in dispute with a currently qualified gas engineer who has told you it's ok to test and you are on here looking for legislation saying it is dangerous?
What we you training towards at college? You should have listened, and if you want to read where it says you can test with air you want to read IGE/UP/1B edition 3 2013, then remember to contact the gas engineer to apologise

Haha just read the post again and have quoted the wrong reg cause I was pee'd off with his attitude, prob need BS6700

Haha just read the post again and have quoted the wrong reg cause I was pee'd off with his attitude, prob need BS6700

kirk.jpg

Yes that's right, I'm going to talk in pictures today.

My god. I'm not rude. I always keep my posts either light hearted or to the point, but I asked a genuine question and got told I'm talking sh** or my old tutor is a know-nothing when he was probably more qualified than most fellas on here. I just hope someone here can verify what I said in a better way than I can. I stand by my tuition and my tutors of days gone. And thanks to the helpful posts so far. Especially Keefy...that is funny
I believe there is something that there is a danger, and the guy I initially referred to was talking about a compressor whacked up high to test pipework.

I just hope the naysayers don't let their smarmy self-confidence get someone hurt cz they think they're right. "Facts do not cease to exist just because ignorance is prevalent."

Type in uk copperboard pressure testing piping systems on google! It's a PDF file

It says air testing can create compressed pressures that should a component fail could be deadly etc... Sounds like the info your after!

@Kimou - I'm going to allow you the benefit of the doubt in respect that your original post came across completely wrong so can you completely rephrase what you initially said in the OP so it makes sense? Then, and only then, will people understand exactly what you're talking about.

Sorry, I don't have an attitude. I'm allowed to stick up for myself. If people reply respectfully then I will reply accordingly, if not, then I'm not interested. If someone has an issue with that, then don't post.
Furthermore, if certain members on here do tell me that it's ok and no such reg exists then I will believe them. So I'll await their response in due course if they wish to enlighten me.

I'm having a dispute with a gas engineer who insists that it is ok to pressure test pipework with air. I told him it's extremely dangerous. He has since asked Gas Safe and they've told him, apparently, that it's ok too.
Now I know that it is illegal unless it is done under certain conditions such as everyone has to leave the building and a complete risk assessment has to be carried out.

Does anyone know what regulation covers this so I can prove to him once and for all? I can't seem to find it anywhere but I know it exists.

@Keefy. I'm not sure what's confusing. I say you're not supposed to pressure test with air unless certain safety criteria is met and that there's some kind of reg to state that. I would like help in finding that reg or some clarity on the matter.
btw thanks for the civility. I'm not a troublemaker not by any stretch.

Ok, so I wasn't wrong and there is a real danger. Thanks gas safe. I guess I don't need to call my friend. And maybe my poor old 1000 year old tutor wasn't so wrong in the end.

With all respect I still don't have a clear idea of what you're asking, probably due to certain things you said since the OP:

When I was in college the tutor wouldn't divulge too much about it because of certain reactions between copper and air goes into the realms of explosives and it wouldn't be prudent of him to give too much away.
Basically because air can compress and it takes a lot more air to raise the gauge, if there was a sudden drop then it can explode.
And it was in reference to high pressures and elements within copper.
I'm not really interested in anybody else's nonsense on what they 'think'.
I just hope someone here can verify what I said in a better way than I can. I stand by my tuition and my tutors of days gone.

I don't even know if it's me who's confused or it's you. Don't take any of this as me trying to take the Michael I'm just trying to show you the bits which need more clarification.

Please explain, it's doing my barnet in.

To use compressed air to test hydraulic pipework at 1.5 working pressure is a no no a small pressure ie half a bar is fine.
A lot of companies use compressed air tests all the time to 1.5 working pressure, which would invalidate any warranty on fittings or pipe.

Okay, after re-reading the whole topic several times over I think the question is:

"Is it illegal and dangerous to pressure test domestic pipework with air?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock