Discuss Potterton powermax ID - am I right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

went to to a powermax last night, looks like expansion vessel has failed. As I've just been made aware of the safety alert with these boilers, decided to call Potterton and ask for advice. What a waste of time, she advised that the boiler I was at is within the range of the affected boilers via the serial number, I asked her what should I be doing to ensure that the boiler is fine to be left on. She told me all I need to do is tell the customer to phone up Potterton to make an appointment to have the boiler looked at.

i asked her what happens if I leave the boiler on and she dies before they come out to inspect! Told her I need to cover myself. She said it's very rare for the problem to occur. So after getting nowhere, I put the phone down and took a peek inside the boiler, noticed that there was some kind of corrosion going on, on the aluminium/cast elbow for the air intake inside the boiler. That said to me that there must be wet vapours from the flue leaking inside the boiler for this to occur

i ID'ed it as I'm not going prison for anyone. Anyone agree with what I've done?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's corrosion then yes, the two I had where corroded. Next one you get, get a small mirror and where the flue bends to h/e is where it usually corrodes.

Did exactly the right thing. If you ever are unsure always ere on the side of caution.

ID it rip it out weigh the heap in and fit a new keston ( logic + but with a 50mm dual flue. ) will go anywhere a power max will and gas inlet is 15, so providing pipework is right size it's an easy swap!

Good job done. ID if it is physically leaking POC. AR if it has the potential to leak POC but is not currently doing so. In any event its turned off. If there is a safety recall then surely its a minimum AR, If you have gone ID that's OK too.

ID it rip it out weigh the heap in and fit a new keston ( logic + but with a 50mm dual flue. ) will go anywhere a power max will and gas inlet is 15, so providing pipework is right size it's an easy swap!

I assume the flue still has to be re run, Just that it can be run through same voids?

No ideal have invented wifi flue system ;)

Yes it's possible to run flue through same void. Cut a hole in ceiling near where flue leaves building, remove old flue through wall, enlarge holes to about 65mm slide flue in, cut an inspection hatch at 2.4m in from inside of wall, guide flue in and past that point to boiler and then another one to that . Flue needs to be supported. This can be done through holes already cut. Make up clips on to a timber , loosely fasten pipe into clips the slide along flue so it sits on timber which lies under flue on ceiling .

id it rip it out weigh the heap in and fit a new keston ( logic + but with a 50mm dual flue. ) will go anywhere a power max will and gas inlet is 15, so providing pipework is right size it's an easy swap!

are you saying the latest keston is actually an ideal logic but you can use 50mm upvc for the flue?

No ideal have invented wifi flue system ;)

Yes it's possible to run flue through same void. Cut a hole in ceiling near where flue leaves building, remove old flue through wall, enlarge holes to about 65mm slide flue in, cut an inspection hatch at 2.4m in from inside of wall, guide flue in and past that point to boiler and then another one to that . Flue needs to be supported. This can be done through holes already cut. Make up clips on to a timber , loosely fasten pipe into clips the slide along flue so it sits on timber which lies under flue on ceiling .

Does flue have to slope back to boiler still or has the wifi feature done away with condensate disposal?

Clips give u about 35mm also ABS is combustible any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's one of these heaps in a flat i look at (only done one service on it) I need to send the owner a copy of the safety warning and ask her to seriously think about replacing it. I stuck an additional CO detector in the cupboard right beside the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton powermax ID - am I right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock