Discuss Oh dear! (Wonder Gas Courses) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheCockneyScot

Thought I'd post this Advertisement from Gumtree for you all to have a look at.

On the ad it is advertised a "Become a gas engineer today! - Apply Now!"

You'll see a picture attached below, this is extremely dangerous territory, I hope to God that there isn't going to be 5 week wonder courses for Gas now too. This could prove to be extremely dangerous for all involved, putting a person on a gas course for a number of weeks and then sending them off to do work is a dangerous thought.

I understand it's been like this with basic plumbing for a number of years with companies earning thousands upon thousands by telling the average Joe he can become a plumber with a 5 week course that they genuinely tell people makes them "competent", but Gas?! Surely a line has to be drawn and the companies behind this must see how this is wrong? Gas isn't something you can learn and master in a matter of weeks.

What do you guys make of it?

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello CockneyScot, I have not read the small print section of the ad you posted, but believe you me, 5 Week gas courses have been out there for a while now. I'm afraid it's already here. Just have a drink and chill out :)

hi cockneyscot, I am the product of one of these courses, its not for eveyone, but now and again they do turn out someone half tidy ;-)

Yep these courses have been about for a few years now, Last year i went to a training center in Trafford Park Manchester to enquire about getting my gas safe. I was informed i only needed to do it for a week, due to having my gas ticket 25yrs ago, and not working with gas for 20yrs.

It's definitely something to keep an eye on, apologies DeanDive mate I'm sure that the course can give good opportunities and training to some but I'm a bit old fashioned with these sort of things, i.e. Time served apprenticeships. Good stuff if they helped you but I'm just a bitter sod with these sorts of advertisements as a good friend of mine got shafted over for ÂŁ4,000 in one!

Maybe I do need a drink haha

There is no way someone can become compitent working with gas in 5 weeks. Some of the numptys on these courses will take 5weeks to learn how to solder a fitting never mind gas regs. IV got the same opinion as u cockney a 4year apprenticeship should b the minimum required to work on gas

Had to change your signature, Cockneyscot.

Broke any number of forum rules.

There is no way someone can become compitent working with gas in 5 weeks. Some of the numptys on these courses will take 5weeks to learn how to solder a fitting never mind gas regs. IV got the same opinion as u cockney a 4year apprenticeship should b the minimum required to work on gas

Problem is that nowadays these companies lure young lads in and tell them all sorts of nonsense about the trade. Not many young people like the idea of a 4 year apprenticeship anymore so will jump at a company that offers them a qualification in 5 weeks. It's sad but true.

I'd agree with the general consensus above. Short courses are great if you have a good instructor, a good knowledge base already, pipe work skills etc etc. Then they can be good but it's too many if's and buts for my liking.

I see these sorts of adverts all over the place and desperately want to get some proper experience to go on a gas course, unfortunately there are so many folks out there desperate to get out of the mindless drivel that is most jobs that this seems like a dream come true. This coupled with smooth/slimely sales guys makes for a disaster waiting to happen.

It's no real substitute for a time served apprenticeship but when you've 'left it to late' in life I dare say these seem like the perfect fix all solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oh dear! (Wonder Gas Courses) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock