Search the forum,

Discuss Minister says "Paying tradesmen cash in hand morally wrong" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Dear Mr David Gauke......

I have though and thought about this and I think this is wrong

This gives the idea that customers should 'have to pay by cheque'
Simply this is just as said, it gives the idea that all payments should be made by cheque and that paying builders/ plumbers by cash is morally wrong, its only the few that listened properly that will understand that it wasn't

90% of the people who ask me for discount for cash are the same people who we give benefits when they move to this country, who cut shorcuts at every opportunity, fit their own boilers, do there own bathrooms and fix there own cars, these people are the ones who do not pay any tax normally as they do not declare that they are working yet they take the money from the goverment, they do not have insurance and they share houses (as seen today 4 people in a 2 bed property) so instead of 4 x council tax for 4 different properties, they are only paying 1 x council tax.
So is it fair to say they are morally wrong or is it Mr Damian Green and the whole goverment who are wrong for not only letting these people in the country but also paying them for being here, with no need to give back to the country at all?

All the people who ask me for discount, I have already thought about it, added extra and then reduced it, so what is morally wrong about paying the exact same amount as you would anyway.

And finnaly, wasn't it the goverment who were spending tax payers money on summer houses, cars and holidays? amazing how quickly they forget isn't it....

Have you sent this to Mr D Gauke MP ??

Hopefully not!

The argument that 90% of the people that expect to get a discount for cash are dishonest would appear to support Mr Gauke's point, rather than being a rebuttal?

Whatever the Government may do: two wrongs have never made a right.

Arguing that you roll forward before rolling back for cash payment, just serves to muddle up the morality issue even more, and suggests that you collude with the practice, even if you pay tax on the money received.

Also, what is wrong with fixing your own car?

I felt sullied when I read that!

Personally, I wouldn't dignify Gauke's stupid statement with any kind of reply, but if you are going to, then why not argue that he's wrong, rather than basing your response on an even more sweeping statement by suggesting that everyone's at it, so all and sundry are immoral?

Hopefully not!

The argument that 90% of the people that expect to get a discount for cash are dishonest would appear to support Mr Gauke's point, rather than being a rebuttal?

Whatever the Government may do: two wrongs have never made a right.

Arguing that you roll forward before rolling back for cash payment, just serves to muddle up the morality issue even more, and suggests that you collude with the practice, even if you pay tax on the money received.

Also, what is wrong with fixing your own car?

I felt sullied when I read that!

Personally, I wouldn't dignify Gauke's stupid statement with any kind of reply, but if you are going to, then why not argue that he's wrong, rather than basing your response on an even more sweeping statement by suggesting that everyone's at it, so all and sundry are immoral?

I understand what you are saying and yes, I probably am argueing that people asking for cash in hand are immoral, but I am not saying that everyone is at it, the only people who ask me are the same people who say they installed the boiler themselves, the same people who get houses when moving from another country, the same people who get benefits when working for there uncles takeaway. the same people who don't pay tax on pretty much any of there earnings, so for the MP to come out with this, not only confuses the honest people but also is wrong because he is on the same side of the people who let these people in the country in the first place.

I understand what you are saying and yes, I probably am argueing that people asking for cash in hand are immoral, but I am not saying that everyone is at it, the only people who ask me are the same people who say they installed the boiler themselves, the same people who get houses when moving from another country, the same people who get benefits when working for there uncles takeaway. the same people who don't pay tax on pretty much any of there earnings, so for the MP to come out with this, not only confuses the honest people but also is wrong because he is on the same side of the people who let these people in the country in the first place.

Paying with cash can obviously not be "immoral" as stated by Gauke, for one thing, lots of retail businesses that deal in low cost items take cash all the time.

If there is an issue, be it moral or legal, then it's about the person receiving the cash not putting it though the books.

When you say you give a discount for cash to people who you regard as dishonest and on the fiddle, you really are shooting yourself in both feet.

Reputable businesses do sometimes give a discount for cash up front because it cuts down on the admin involved with managing an account, and being paid straight away means that you are not subsiding free credit for the customer.

But that's different from the: nod, nod, wink, wink, of two prices being quoted at the outset, i.e. one for cash, and one for cheques.

Gauke's crass statement was just another example of a little known MP wanting to get his name in the tabloid press.

If you want some ammunition, have a look at his bio:-

David Gauke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not difficult to see why he's something of an authority on fiddles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Minister says "Paying tradesmen cash in hand morally wrong" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock