Currently reading:
Mature Person wanting a Plumbing Apprenticeship in Cornwall

Discuss Mature Person wanting a Plumbing Apprenticeship in Cornwall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markus45

I am 45 years old, have had a few properties in my time and have carried out a lot of plumbing work on all of them including a farm house in France, I thoroughly enjoy the work and am a bit of a perfectionist, I am at present at Cornwall College carrying out a 2 year Plumbing City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 Course and i am in dire need of an apprenticeship.

I am a hard working man with a lot to offer, I am ex-Royal Navy of 12 years in the Communications Branch, so you can be assured of the discipline. I am also a qualified Marine & Automotive Engineer, I.T. Technician & Networking Engineer, Communications Engineer including Satellite Engineer. I am also a disabled man having lost my right leg, but this does not deter me in any way and I can carry out my daily duties as well as any jobs that is assigned to me without any hindrance to me or anyone around me.

I have applied for many jobs since October 2011 but to no avail, this I believe has something to do with my disability although not 100% sure of it, this is probably to do with the fact that a majority of the work that I applied for was physical, but I was and still am prepared to sign a disclaimer. It would be good for any potential employer to take on not only me as an apprentice, but as a disabled person as you the potential employer will get a grant to adapt any part of your premises as well as you vehicle, as its my right leg thats been amputated all I would need is a hand control, this is a push and pull system for brake and throttle, there would be no disruption to the vehicles foot pedals and thus an able bodied person could still drive it

So come on guys give this old git a chance to prove that I am worthy of taking me on as an apprentice

Mark

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. :)

I think you are right in what you say with regard to your disability, I find this job hard with all my bits. Just wondering how you would be at getting into lofts and up ladders etc. Humping gear around etc etc. Not trying to bring you down just trying to appreciate the practicalities.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. :)

I think you are right in what you say with regard to your disability, I find this job hard with all my bits. Just wondering how you would be at getting into lofts and up ladders etc. Humping gear around etc etc. Not trying to bring you down just trying to appreciate the practicalities.

Many thanks for your reply, I am one of these persons that dont like sitting around doing nothing, in my condition i have built extension to property that i have had, I have climbed roofs, installed satellite dishes etc etc, so I as you can see and appreciate Im not one of these that dont let things get in my way, I will try things and see what my limitations are, I will at least give it a go.

Many thanks for your reply, I am one of these persons that dont like sitting around doing nothing, in my condition i have built extension to property that i have had, I have climbed roofs, installed satellite dishes etc etc, so I as you can see and appreciate Im not one of these that dont let things get in my way, I will try things and see what my limitations are, I will at least give it a go.

Sound more than capable then. Hope somebody gives you a chance.

One thing that may be an obstacle is insurance (public liability or employers liability), I don't know for sure but in the world we live in it will probably be a lot more expensive. It may be something that you want to look at yourself so when the question is asked you can say you have that side covered.

Fair play to you mark, I take my hat off. there are many blokes not only apprentices that are lazy as (well you know what) and have no interest. Is it not an option that you could go self employed and take on smaller jobs and build your business (Im no way doubting your ability by the way) but could be a way forward. Apprenticships are very hard to come by but if you have the drive and you not rough youre be alright. Do u have your own transport as I can imagine that some blokes will be reluctant to get a van converted to suit you and may not be able to pick you up all the time. No real advise here I know but a few options - also I have a cracking name for a company but hope you would not be offended by it

Fair play to you mark, I take my hat off. there are many blokes not only apprentices that are lazy as (well you know what) and have no interest. Is it not an option that you could go self employed and take on smaller jobs and build your business (Im no way doubting your ability by the way) but could be a way forward. Apprenticships are very hard to come by but if you have the drive and you not rough youre be alright. Do u have your own transport as I can imagine that some blokes will be reluctant to get a van converted to suit you and may not be able to pick you up all the time. No real advise here I know but a few options - also I have a cracking name for a company but hope you would not be offended by it

Here here, what a determined bloke. Hope he gets everything sorted. This thread has made my day

Here here, what a determined bloke. Hope he gets everything sorted. This thread has made my day

It is so comforting to hear such brilliant posts, it over-whelms me to hear or see what you have all put, I come from a family of hardworkers as well as fighters, nothing fazes us and at times I wish that there are more people out there in a similar situation to me that would have the same tenacity and drive. I see quite often people on a disability benefit, reaping all of the monies, because they have a drug problem or they are alcoholics, "Is this not a way for the government feeding their habit...?", sorry I was getting a little political there, not the done thing on this forum perhaps, but with so many good people out there with such nice things to say, I find myself compelled to be honest.

The gentleman that has got a good name for a business name, please tell me and please I promise you all that nothing will never ever offend me, after all, sometimes when I go out, (at least I have in the past), taken some allen keys and turned my foot around on my prosthetic, just for a laugh.

So keep the comments coming its great to hear them, plus, I would be really interested in becoming my own boss, and perhaps take on people in similar situations,

Thank you all very much

Mark

I would definately not be offended mate, I would be glad to hear it....

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mature Person wanting a Plumbing Apprenticeship in Cornwall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock