Discuss lowering chimney but hoping to retain backboiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

A customer of mine is looking at lowering a chimney for a client which is currently in use by a baxi backboiler. The builder is proposing dismantling the chimney to below the ridge and if possible taking a solid flue through the ridge. Iv only been a engineer for 6 years so not very involved in the open flue side of things in relation to flueing options, so seeking some initial advice before I get onto gas safe or baxi.

My gut reaction is to say no, as iv never seen a flue system for connecting flexible lining to solid flue pipe? Also weathering and supporting the flue could be tricky. Plus after the expense of doing this it would probably be more beneficial to replace the boiler. But the customer is a good customer and I want to advise them correctly.

Thanks,
Jim

Seen the council do this loads of times. Don't know what's involved thou. I'm sure someone will let you know

jimbob the chimney needs to be taken down below the roof level preferably as low as possible to the rafters, the flue liner needs to be completely inspected as flue liners are only guaranteed for 10-15 years. you should change the copex liner if you cannot guarantee the integrity of the liner.the most popular system is to use a selkirk flue, you will need a copex to selkirk connector fire stop plate and clamp after this has been fitted at the base of the chimney you then need to haunch the chimney area then connect selkirk flue pipe to the desired height the height is determined by the measuring from the flue pipe to the tiles/slates in a horizontal line where the distance is not less than 1metre you then fit a flashing with a collar and tile or slate the area and fit a gc1 terminal the flue pipe should be supported every 1.8 metres

Is it a Baxi gas back boiler or solid fuel? For solid fuel it would need to extend at least 600mm above the ridge. Also peter aka justlead1 sells lead ridge slates to suit twin wall flue pipe.

Edit, its gas eco re-read post

Last edited by a moderator:
never been a fan of ridge slates i much prefer using the selkirk IL (or ritevent if ordered from bes) system dont forget when you join the liner to the IL with the adapter in the chimney this joint must be accessible and inspected on each service

That's for the info. Rm1 that's very detailed, thanks.

I know Selkirk well, have a few friends who work for them as they are based in my area, will price up and put it to the customer.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lowering chimney but hoping to retain backboiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock