Discuss Load of plumbers arrested for not declaring their tax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing new there then tax offices often scan adverts for cross matching against their records i would imagine at any given time they could find six of any trade or profession thats being investigated

As Jesus said ... Let he who is without sin throw the first stone! .....

Since I started my working carrier, 33 years ago, I've been aware of people working and being paid cash in hand. Working weekdays for their employers and weekends for themselves!

It happens, maybe the money spent catching evaders would be better spent working on an equal field so that folk who work hard make at least as much as the leeches that sit on their fat backsides soaking up the taxes the workers pay! Maybe when you hear of families out of work being paid £30,000 a year to live on, their rent paid for etc. etc... A one off homer now and again seems insignificant ... And maybe even justified? I could go on and on mentioning area's that this government waste our hard earned taxes ... Alas it does not condone or give reason for tax evasion .... ! It's a lot more complicated and deeply embedded culturally I believe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a shame really, they have used the gas safe register to hunt down people who have not paid the correct amount of tax, shame they dont put as much effort into hunting down illegal gas installers. Whats the betting that the punishment is higher for the tax then doing illegal gas work?

When are they going to hunt down the other trades like they have this trade?

Good point, AWheating - and one that will not be taken on board by the authorities because it's too difficult.

like anything to do with officaldom if it takes more than two brain cells to think about it gets rejected out of hand as too hard to implement.

The trouble with our trade is that we are an easy target.
With most things we do servicings, Installs etc leave a paper trail.

Maybe I should just stop notifying and issuing CP12's?

Arrested! I don't believe all that I read and there must be other circumstances. I speak from experience having been investigated and been a bit naughty. I found the tax office not user friendly but not the ogres they are meant to be (mostly).

The worst thing you can ever do is ignore the problem it sets a bad precident and they then don't leave.

I got the notice the day I was leaving on my holiday for a month! I phoned the tax chapess and had a chat I was then cautioned (human rights etc). Explained that I was on holiday and my accountant would be in touch.

The only advise she gave me was do not ignore this!

That was my first and last contact with her. My accountant dealt with it. At no point was I threatened with arrest or felt in fear for my liberty. Although the rest may have been good!

My accountant explained that they only want there money.....

You get discounts for co-operation, how serious the offence was, mitigation etc.

Don't get me started on the HMRC. I put in a request for a refund due to over payment of tax in March and I'm still chasing. Earlier in the week I received a letter that said my request couldn't be dealt with until 1st October because of a computer fault. Wtf?!?!

Don't get me started on the HMRC. I put in a request for a refund due to over payment of tax in March and I'm still chasing. Earlier in the week I received a letter that said my request couldn't be dealt with until 1st October because of a computer fault. Wtf?!?!

My girlfriend was due for a tax refund of £12k this was discovered by my accountant when I was going through my saga. Apparently the tax office disagreed with the figure though and said she was up to date......

You have my sympathies.

This boils my ****, i like probally the rest of the forum members have no problem in paying tax on what i make.

What gets me going is why pick on just us??, yes by all means have tax investergations etc on every trade/job, there will be a lot more people out there screwing the HRMC, lets start with the scrappys who drive around in there ****ty untaxed/uninsured vans all days......i bet these are even claiming dole aswell.

The top and bottom of it, is that we, as gas engineers and as previously said leave a paper trail on our jobs, we are easy targets.....unlike bathroom/kitchen fitters etc etc.

All we have to do is look at the scumbag politicians screwing us with there expenses fiddles, what happened to 99% of them......it all got brushed under the table.

In my opinion one of the industrys that should be investergated is take aways/resterants they make fortunes in undeclared cash, far more than we could even if we had the oppertunity...........cant remember the last time i ever got paid cash.

Bob

Like everyone else here there is so much I could say!
I have found the HMRC to be good at a personal level - very helpful and really Ok if you can't pay on time - just discuss it with them.
The people I think they are chasing are people who have made big money over years, all cash and never declared tax.

It is not just thrught the gas safe register & paper trail.
As I understand it the merchants we buy from have to keep records on who buys what - even customer cash accounts and loyalty cards are tracking the amount we spend - like that B&Q card & the wickes points mean prices card.
HMRC required the companies to keep those records and hand them over.
WE were told by Travis Perkins that they routinely hand over their records of how much customers spend to HMRC.

On the one hand it is good if there is a clamp down on people not paying tax because we all work from the same equal basis. If we pay PAYE and/or corporation tax and VAT our prices could be about 50-60% higher on labour than someone who doesn't pay any tax - for us to be left with the same pounds in our pocket. So that person could charge £1,000 for a job and keep it all, we have to charge at least £1,500 for the same job.

I see the problem being as we work for members of the public and very few people have £500 spare no one public look for the cheapest and want to pay cash without tax. As they see it they already paid tax on their income.
I often wonder if tax system was reformed and we paid less perhaps they would get more in.

And finally, I really resent having to take 20% of subcontractors and pay it to the inland rev. As they are self employed they should get all there money and manage it themselves. And there is no reason to think we will be better at paying it to HMRC than the subbies.

Hopefull with the HMRC not wanting to discriminate against one trade we will see follow on arrests and reporting of every other trade being treated the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Load of plumbers arrested for not declaring their tax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back