Currently reading:
Landlord

Discuss Landlord in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Britlee

i have been asked to service a boiler and do a landlord cert, i asked him how many appliances are in the property and he come back with just a boiler, but there is a gas fire there which has been capped off due to it being condemned last year. what i'm asking is do i need to check the gas fire or just make sure it is still capped off and note it down on the cert.

Thanks Lee

cheack all dude for what its worth better safe then sorry as it will be on your head in my opinion i might be wrong tho and stand to be corrected if so but een if no need id like to cover myself.

The only check I would be doing for the fire is to make sure it is capped off, if it is to be turned back on at a later date or replaced then thats for the next gas fitter to check.
Just note there is a fire that is not connected to the gas supply. Why check something thats not connected to the supply.

You are doing a report on the gas appliances and instalation

It a appliance is capped off,just put that on report,no need to uncap test and recap!

I put on report in this instance

Gas fire in front room capped off/isolated previously by another,not tested /inspected,if appliance reconnection/re-enstated , full inspection of appliance and it's instalation will be required

Or similar bum coverer

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thread about gas certs is moaning about some prices others are charging, well if you are going to start re piping and checking fires that are not even connected to the supply no wander they are a lot cheaper than some on here.

Another thread about gas certs is moaning about some prices others are charging, well if you are going to start re piping and checking fires that are not even connected to the supply no wander they are a lot cheaper than some on here.
dude noones mentioned re pipeing or just do we cheack and we ansewd yes and by your ansew then you cheack aswell dont you by checking it is capped off as should be that is a check who says that it was done by a gsr engineer or the landlords bodge man you are issuing a cert to the gas end of cheack its capped right make necessery note easy as that then carry on as you would arse covered.

Read the first post, he asks shall I check the fire or just see if it is capped off.
So how is he going to check the fire for anything if he doesn't connect to the supply? OK dude.

I would just check its capped off and thats it. I would not mention anything on the gas cert and i dont see any reason to unless you like wasting your time and ink

I would just check its capped off and thats it. I would not mention anything on the gas cert and i dont see any reason to unless you like wasting your time and ink

So the tenant is found dead ,2 weeks later from carbon monoxide from fire that they reconnected and were are you,carried out an inspection incorrectly,left possible dangerous appliance on,how do you prove it was capped?

I have had it before were a fire has been reconnected by its self,mysteriously and saved a lot of grief by what I put on record

And please note,this was a issue when inspections first came out,visual inspections by them selves are not enough,you have to make a written record of your findings

Believe it or not,when regs first came out,gas plumbers were going round,doing visual checks,issuing no written record just an invoice saying it had been inspected !

Do yourself a favour......waste some ink

imho

Fair point P I will use the ink in future. I have done a cert before where a couple had a gas fire in there bedroom with a gas leak taped over with gaffer tape, Now that could have been a close call

Agree with Puddle, get it all written down to cover yourself because you can be sure that if the poo hits the fan at a later date, then the landlord / tenant will deny everything.

So the tenant is found dead ,2 weeks later from carbon monoxide from fire that they reconnected and were are you,carried out an inspection incorrectly,left possible dangerous appliance on,how do you prove it was capped?

I have had it before were a fire has been reconnected by its self,mysteriously and saved a lot of grief by what I put on record

And please note,this was a issue when inspections first came out,visual inspections by them selves are not enough,you have to make a written record of your findings

Believe it or not,when regs first came out,gas plumbers were going round,doing visual checks,issuing no written record just an invoice saying it had been inspected !

Do yourself a favour......waste some ink

imho
at leat u agree puddle seems that people want to risk there tiket that pays there bills on there heads be it not for anyone to argue long as they stick to rules and regs but theres always wt if and its there choice to take wt if

Read the first post, he asks shall I check the fire or just see if it is capped off.
So how is he going to check the fire for anything if he doesn't connect to the supply? OK dude.
cheack that it was capped correctly not bodged just as stated simple shish wts with the nark comment people just haing there opinions and just to qoute then youd just take there word its capped correctly sound by me your name on the sheet no beef dude just opinion feel free to have your opinions back just dont get all shirty bout it ;)

Why would you check its been capped properly or am I missing something. I would check there is a correct fitting on it and there is no leak, Bloody hell I have been doing it wrong for all these years lol

cheack that it was capped correctly not bodged just as stated simple shish wts with the nark comment people just haing there opinions and just to qoute then youd just take there word its capped correctly sound by me your name on the sheet no beef dude just opinion feel free to have your opinions back just dont get all shirty bout it ;)

You dont get what I said do you??
The original post not you, said shall he do a check on the fire or just check the fire was capped off. So he was going to do a full check on a fire thats not even connected. Not you, Him.
Have you got spell check on your phone or PC? it is hard to understand what you are saying.

bet the fitter who does b and q's wharehouse gas cert has a long list 6 blow heaters and 500 other apliances not connected

Look i have never come across this before so i thought i would come on here and ask your advice. Also nowhere in my first post did i say i was going to re-fit the fire, what i said was i quote, ( what i'm asking is do i need to check the gas fire or just make sure it is still capped off and note it down on the cert.) DO I NEED TO CHECK THE GAS FIRE. It was just a query.

Hi Britlee. I would not check the gas fire as part of the CP12. What I would do though, as its fitted but not connected, is to check that it is visually capped off with the correct fitting. Then state on the sheet that the fire was in situe but not connected to the supply. To back this up, inform the landlord/gas user/responsible person that its not being inspected because its not connected. This would go for any other appliances in the property, cooker/gas wall heater etc. A drop test would indicate if the capping process is sound.

NOW. What I have done in the past and I know it seems pedantic, is to photo the scenario that I think may cause a problem in the future. ie the gas fire in question. Both the fire and the relevant cap/blank would be pictured. Nearly everyone has a mobile with a camera on it so use it. Its takes mere seconds. This photo may be a lifesaver in court if problems arise at a later date. DAMHIK. I had a court case dropped and costs awarded because I produced a picture of the dodgey appliance/fitting problem.

You must at all costs be aware that no-one will represent you should the proverbial hit the fan. YOU would be seen to be at fault if anything should happen because you didnt identify the problem. Cover yourself with a picture if possible. Just download them to a file on your computer and leave them there. They wont do any harm and could be your get out of jail card. Just make sure the date/time is collected at the time the picture was taken.

Take your time and be safe. Cover yourself because no one can or will do it for you......G.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice Gordon T, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks again Lee

You dont get what I said do you??
The original post not you, said shall he do a check on the fire or just check the fire was capped off. So he was going to do a full check on a fire thats not even connected. Not you, Him.
Have you got spell check on your phone or PC? it is hard to understand what you are saying.
ok dude stand corrected my bad sorry not here to make enemys and ill check myself keyboard is to@:ed cheers

haha never mind "I am Sparticus", for me it is "I am Victor Meldrew" write down EVERYTHING, when doing LGSC's with electric cooker fitted, and oly a boiler, you only need to record the boiler details, ot good enough for me, i told my guys i wanted details of electric cooker recorded, haha they were well impressed with that one, but my reasoning was "ok, there was a gas explosion in the house you serviced last week, from the gas cooker, your CP1 only had info of a boiler, so why did you miss the gas cooker which has now proved to be faulty" their reply "eh eh eh eh i dont know, lets go back and see the job" so on seeing the job they realise there wasnt a gas cooker fitted when they were there, but how do they prove it? the other guys lawyer simply says to the jury that obviuosly he was in a rush and missed it but he is still to blame, with my reasoning of recording details and saying "ELECTRIC COOKER FITTED" through the test boxes, it is IMPOSSIBLE that they missed the gas cooker, as they wouldnt put detials of a made up electric cooker in random CP1's, so its obvious that the cooker was fitted AFTER his service (as we suspected all along) but we have a reasonable chance of being believed, once this scenario was put to them they thought flippen heck, he wee guy is mad but right again haha, ok its extra paperwork and technically not needed but for all the time it takes well worth the trouble (after all , in social housing they need to confirm if the gas supply to the cooker space is ok, so they need to tip the cooker forward to see behind it)

Yes, you need to think a few steps ahead - like a chess player. It does help - defo.

Top tip there Kirkgas recording electric cooker details - I'm going to start doing this .

Do you reckon electricians write on their certs that they have Gas Boiler, Gas Fire, Gas Cooker??
I can see how it may help to back you up if something happened, but I personnaly would not write it as I just dont see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back