Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord / Tenant responsibility in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

ninfan

Possibly a daft question but hopefully someone will be able to help point me to an answer.

Where does landlord responsibility end, and tenant responsibility begin?

As far as I can see, the landlord is responsible for all pipework, fittings etc, and the tenant responsible for his own appliances.

So, in the following scenario, who is responsible for the work.

Tenant moves into a rented property owned by a social landlord (housing association) - fitted kitchen with open space for freestanding cooker, but the cooker gas pipe is capped.

So, in order to install a cooker, work has to be carried out on the pipework to fit a bayonet valve - so if there is work on the pipes, then this, would in theory at least, be the responsibility of the landlord, but the actual instillation of the cooker from valve to appliance is the responsibility of the tenant.

so, who is responsible for the work?

As an additional point, the tenancy agreement/letting standard says that "every home will have serviceable kitchen fittings, and gas and/or electricity points to permit cooker connection"

so if the pipework is not in a condition to permit connection, is it the landlords responsibility as owner of the pipework to install a bayonet valve which subsequently allows cooker connection - or the tenants responsibility to uncap and fit the bayonet valve as part of the "instillation" process.

your puzzled... ninfan

The cooker supply pipe has been capped to make safe as there is no cooker provided by the landlord.
Fitting a cooker involves fitting the bayonet fitting connecting the cooker and testing the appliance. This would be the responsibility of the tenant to arrange if they wished to connect up a gas cooker.

I'd agree with GrahamM ... Seeing as cookers require different positions for installation of the bayonet fitting it's best that the cooker installer installs this. However I'd read your tenancy agreement because you may need your landlords permission before you install a gas cooker or interfear with the gas pipework installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord / Tenant responsibility in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock