Currently reading:
Just introducing myself

Discuss Just introducing myself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snowden

Ive been reading a lot of threads recently, going back through hundreds of post just having a nose. (I work in an office at the moment, the forum keeps me awake). Ive been reading all of the topics with titles such as "Train for Skills" and "6 week plumbing courses" etc etc you know the type. Got me thinking...(i'll explain in a sec)

Anyway. A little about me (I know some of you will have heard from me in a "looking for work thread". Im 24, Ive worked at Aviva for 6 years, basically because it pays well and is secure. I never knew what I wanted to do at school, I dont know how anyone can be told to chose a career when they are 14 years old. Anyway, cracked on with working as a chef when I left school and then moved onto Aviva. Have a 3 year old son and a long term missus.

2 years a go I decided I wanted to do something with my hands, learn a skill that got me away from the office and something that I would need for life. Researched a lot of careers and the qualifications needed for each. Originally enrolled on an Open Uni course in Engineering until they sent me 6 massive books for 1 module. I knew I wouldn't have the time and so I jacked that in. I then injured my shoulder, badly (footy :shades_smile:). Needed metal screws and bolts to stop it dislocating. Had a 6 hour operation to fix it. Career change put on hold for 12 months.

Decided that if I got over this operation ok then I would go into Plumbing if all was OK. I looked around at all the intensive courses. Closest was about 75 miles away. I live in Norfolk and there were no part time courses anywhere! I decided to try College of West Anglia and slug it with the school leavers. Paid £250 and enrolled on C&G 6129 and got an NVQ level 1 in Engineering thrown in something to do with more funding). College even paid me £150 per term for travel and £70 for materials. Bargain I thought.

The course is a whole year. About 15-20 to a class (if everyone turns up. 2 and 1/2 days a week so plenty of time to work the other 4 days. So I stay at Aviva part time to pay the bills. At 1st I thought it would be really awkward studying with 16/117 year olds but it felt so natural and it helped that everyone else had the same goal. There was a 45 year old on our course who had 6 kids, didn't bother him either. The tutors are time served plumbers and always on hand to help. With it being a college the tutors are there to help you through and to teach not just get you through the exams with a pass. I even get a "school report" which is sent home addressed to me :p

I cant see why anyone would want to pay thousands for these quick intensive courses. Its so much more personal going to college. The support has been fantastic! Even in the workshop, I finished my practical within weeks as I just crack on. But I recently spoke to my tutor as I had a job coming up and asked him if I could come in and practice fitting some bathrooms. He said it was fine and could use all the materials and tools that I wanted.

So yeh thats me, still trying to find work experience but Im sure something will turn up. Plumbing is something I have a passion for, and a skill I will eventually pass onto my son (if his fixation with tractors and trains ever passes). I will always work for Aviva part time as its security for my family, I can do evenings which is good. But I can see myself succeeding in Plumbing (even with the recession etc) always been a firm believe that if you want to work, you will get work.

Sorry for rambling on, just thought I would say hi officially as I always get hooked to a decent forum. And finally, if you want to be a plumber, try your local college. You may be surprised at what they can provide. And you are probably more deserving of a place than some of the younger lads Ive seen on the course.

All the best

Snowden

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Snowden ... Setting out solid foundations makes for sturdy feet when the blows start coming :)

Wishing you all the best in your career :) and :welcome: to this place on the web!

Welcome Snowdon good luck and I hope your enthusiasum stands you in good stead regards turnpin
icon7.png

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the massive post!

yeh sorry about that. Its vital information that you all needed to know!... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just introducing myself in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock