Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Is this right??????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Aire

Daughters just moved into a rental and says she's can't get the boiler working, she's sent me these pics and it just doesn't look right to me but apart from ripping them out, I don't have much experience with bbu's. She also says she hasn't been given a landlords certificate. I've told her not use it and to contact her landlord to get an engineer out but what do you guys think?

20190517_090310.jpg

20190517_090316.jpg

It appears to be a back boiler and Fire usually you have a mesh piece that goes around the sides. It’s missing I don’t think it’s a detriment or unsafe.

However a cp12 would be required to confirm that the appliances are 100% safe to use.

Last edited:
It was the gap that was the concern but not physically seeing it makes it hard to say and the colour of the radiants would suggest it's not been cleaned/serviced in a while. I've told her not to touch it and to call her landlord to get an engineer out.

I wouldn’t be happy with that for a rental

Are there marks on the case above the radiant, or is that just shadows?
I don’t think that gore does have a side grille.

But it is all irrelevant, insofar as she should have a LLCSR before or at the start of the tenancy. Is this via an agent or direct? If direct, the LL may genuinely not know of the requirements - so get downloading, printing and educating.

Is the ventilation correct!

Is there defo a BBU there?

It appears the landlord is maybe a bit of a rogue one. My daughter boyfriend who she's moving in with is moving from a another property owned by the same landlord and he said he's never had a cp12 at his old address either. Says it's hard to communicate with her as she barely speaks a word of English.

I'll wait to see if an engineer goes to it and see what is said. It's an awkward one for me as I don't have my own registration it's makes it hard to sort it myself.

Are there marks on the case above the radiant, or is that just shadows?
I don’t think that gore does have a side grille.

But it is all irrelevant, insofar as she should have a LLCSR before or at the start of the tenancy. Is this via an agent or direct? If direct, the LL may genuinely not know of the requirements - so get downloading, printing and educating.

Is the ventilation correct!

Is there defo a BBU there?
To be honest I don't know, I haven't looked and I'm only going off the pics I've been sent. Finishing work late today and working tomorrow I'm going to struggle to have a look until Sunday. Daughter says there is no other boiler in the house though, can only see a tank in airing cupboard so my guess is there is a bbu.

The landlord is direct and not English so you could be right about the not knowing what is required.

Sorry, on closer inspection, there is clearly a BBU.

IIRC, the fire is not fitted to the wall. The BBU is fitted in position, and the fire is bolted to it. So fitting that fre properly may be a challenge. Has she got a CO alarm?

Sorry, on closer inspection, there is clearly a BBU.

IIRC, the fire is not fitted to the wall. The BBU is fitted in position, and the fire is bolted to it. So fitting that fre properly may be a challenge. Has she got a CO alarm?
So the gap may be acceptable?
She hasn't got a CO alarm yet but I've told her to get one.

So the gap may be acceptable?
She hasn't got a CO alarm yet but I've told her to get one.

It is not acceptable, in that it COULD introduce a draught flowng in a direction for which it has not been tested, and, anyway, the MIs would have statetd that the fire should be snug to the wall.

In truth, it probably is not causing a problem, but certainly do not suggest to the LL that it is anything other than wrong - a can of worms will certainly be opened!

I have had BBUs where the boiler can be physically jiggled into the right position, but this is probably a case where the base is sloping up towards the back.

TBH, I would be concerned over it, and advising her not to use it untik you have checked it. The fact that there is no CP12 gives rise to the real possibility that it has not been maintained. If a CP12 does turn up, I would be scrutinising it big time

It is not acceptable, in that it COULD introduce a draught flowng in a direction for which it has not been tested, and, anyway, the MIs would have statetd that the fire should be snug to the wall.

In truth, it probably is not causing a problem, but certainly do not suggest to the LL that it is anything other than wrong - a can of worms will certainly be opened!

I have had BBUs where the boiler can be physically jiggled into the right position, but this is probably a case where the base is sloping up towards the back.

TBH, I would be concerned over it, and advising her not to use it untik you have checked it. The fact that there is no CP12 gives rise to the real possibility that it has not been maintained. If a CP12 does turn up, I would be scrutinising it big time
Ok thanks for the advice. I don't believe she knows how or even if the boiler actually works so it's fair to say she likely won't be using it until it's checked. I have said to her to tell her landlord an engineer needs to look at the boiler and also told her that if one turns up to make sure she checks his gas safe card.
I'll still try get an online manual and sort it myself tomorrow and will definitely be checking over the cp12 if one magically appears.

Reply to Is this right??????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock