Discuss How much for your Plumbing non employed 6129 Technical Certificate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuzzy

It wasn't my intention to 'cast a dark shadow', but to question some issues that exist in our industry with regard to plumbing qualifications, and especially the 6129 technical certificate in plumbing.

Perhaps we could try one of your suggestions - please phone City and Guilds, ask them to disclose the number of successful candidates doing 6129 technical certificates, for each year since 2007 and let us know.

I also appreciate that Fuzzy at least replies to my posts, so thanks for this.

your welcome.

for me it does not matter how many have done the qual really, if 1000 people have done it and got what they wanted from it then IMO thats good. We shouldnt presume that everyone taking a qual will want to become directly employed, they may have had other reasons to train such as enjoying learning, wanting to do some DIY etc etc. That will affect the judgements made when considering how many people have completed this qual

Why are we still going on about the 6129 Tec Cert whether or not it was good bad or indifferent doesn't really matter any more its an old qualification & has had its day, been replaced to suit the advances in the industry (lead has finally gone !, shame but there u r, more important things) The real important thing is what is replacing it which is the 6189 which is an NVQ only, one industry standard qualification which unless you have access to complete on-site assessment you can't get it, simples!!!! O but NO what is happening under the utmost pressure from colleges & some training providers the Tec Cert is being re-born as the 6035 so here we go again, colleges taking youngsters on to course with not realistic chance of getting a job. More unscrupulous training providers charging 10K for a way into the industry with the legitimisey of a C&G qualification that mirrors the NVQ ------ "normal service is resumed"
& I still haven't got any work that pays.

we could say 6129 or 6035 or tech cert, the points raised are valid regardless as they refer to full time courses.

Either full time course can lead to the full NVQ (currently 6189) so the training is not wasted if the desire to continue through to the full qualification.

Much of training and education doesnt lead to a direct job, how many subjects to people take at school that dont lead to jobs, i did well in geography and history but didnt get a job in those areas, are we to say that unless it leads to a direct job it should not be allowed?

your welcome.

for me it does not matter how many have done the qual really, if 1000 people have done it and got what they wanted from it then IMO thats good. We shouldnt presume that everyone taking a qual will want to become directly employed, they may have had other reasons to train such as enjoying learning, wanting to do some DIY etc etc. That will affect the judgements made when considering how many people have completed this qual
Oh I am sorry Fuzzy but get real!!, the number of people who thought, I no I will go & pay lots of money & do a plumbing course because they wanted to improve there DIY skills or because they love learning so much, you could not fill the fingers on one hand.
They do them for one reason & one reason only!!!

Oh I am sorry Fuzzy but get real!!, the number of people who thought, I no I will go & pay lots of money & do a plumbing course because they wanted to improve there DIY skills or because they love learning so much, you could not fill the fingers on one hand.
They do them for one reason & one reason only!!!

in the majority of cases you are right, however if they are willing to do the course and know the realities they are making an informed choice, why should people be denied this choice?

I think there is an argument for higher education, in that doing a degree in History, Philosophy or the Arts has intrinsic value or 'learning for its own sake' is an accepted pursuit.

However, 'vocational education and training' offers a different proposition.

If we take the word vocational as meaning a career choice, then there is the implicit assumption that vocational education leads to a job in a particular field such as medicine or plumbing.

I would strongly argue that there are now few instances of adults doing plumbing courses for their own sake, compared to those doing courses with some intention of doing the job.

If we now introduce the government rhetoric of 'skills training' and providing people with the skills employers want, there is an explicit implication that the courses lead into industry or provide the first steps in a process.

The consequences of the 'over-ambitious' claims by training providers and government, is that people are now 'brain-washed' into thinking they need a course to become something - all part of the marketisation of education and training.

Courses are sold and people are left with debt, no job and the frustration of looking for work in field that is 'probably' over-supplied, but we don't know the numbers. In addition, people lose confidence in their knowledge, because they have not practised it yet, and probably just give up. Or tech-cert students are faced to 'set-up' and incurr more cost when going self-employed - which benefits the wider economy because self employed people generate business (at their own expense).

Numbers are massively important, thats why they are kept secret. I don't think many would be shelling out ÂŁthousands for courses or chosing a career in plumbing if they knew there was little chance of finding a job. I can't believe the 48,000 who turned up for a tech-cert in 2008 were doing it because they loved the subject and wanted to learn it for its own sake.

I think there is an argument for higher education, in that doing a degree in History, Philosophy or the Arts has intrinsic value or 'learning for its own sake' is an accepted pursuit. HE and secondary yes

However, 'vocational education and training' offers a different proposition. agreed but its not totally exclusive to this concept

If we take the word vocational as meaning a career choice, then there is the implicit assumption that vocational education leads to a job in a particular field such as medicine or plumbing. Yes i agree in the majority of cases but again it shouldnt be totally exclusive or considered as such

I would strongly argue that there are now few instances of adults doing plumbing courses for their own sake, compared to those doing courses with some intention of doing the job. I agree

If we now introduce the government rhetoric of 'skills training' and providing people with the skills employers want, there is an explicit implication that the courses lead into industry or provide the first steps in a process. Agreed, and I think plumbing quals fit into this just fine

The consequences of the 'over-ambitious' claims by training providers and government, is that people are now 'brain-washed' into thinking they need a course to become something - all part of the marketisation of education and training Not usre brain washed but yes this can be one view, this is were my persistent message of informed judgments and knowing the facts comes in

Courses are sold and people are left with debt, no job and the frustration of looking for work in field that is 'probably' over-supplied, i presume this is the case, and it is said repeatably on here time after time, again this is not the fault of the qualification, it is the fault of the seller misleading and the buyer not doing their research. but we don't know the numbers.
In addition, people lose confidence in their knowledge, because they have not practised it yet, and probably just give up Its no different than many courses, I feel that plumbing gets bad press with this, what about all the other courses that do the same? How many people with ONC's, HNC's H&S quals etc etc go into that direct line of work? I know several people who have completed the 6129 who have got jobs on the back of it but not as a plumber, one is now a caretaker in a school, one got a job as a joinery apprentice because the successful course was proof of applying oneself, there will be numerous success stories like this but they are difficult to measure
Or tech-cert students are faced to 'set-up' and incurr more cost when going self-employed - which benefits the wider economy because self employed people generate business (at their own expense) The tech cert is not designed to make somebody a plumber so they shouldnt really go self employed as a 'fully qualified' plumber, nothing wrong though with basic works if they work within their own ability

Numbers are massively important, thats why they are kept secret. I don't think many would be shelling out ÂŁthousands for courses or chosing a career in plumbing if they knew there was little chance of finding a jobt Are you sure clanger? just read many posts on here, how many say they realise its not going to be easy and the money isnt going to be all that and still pay to do it because its what they want
I can't believe the 48,000 who turned up for a tech-cert in 2008 were doing it because they loved the subject and wanted to learn it for its own sake True, but we know and understand much more now so no reason to refuse training for people, we also cannot alter what went on before. We shouldnt stop people training now because many trained numerous years ago. They should be given the opportunity

replies in bold above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much for your Plumbing non employed 6129 Technical Certificate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock