Discuss Hotter = Less Gas????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stefan-west1

Hi all hope someone can help me out here, currently have a combi boiler in our rented house, but we have no thermostat, therefore we've been leaving the heating on from 5am to 11pm with the radiator dial on a low setting just to keep the house warm, however because of the very cold weather we've had the last couple of days, it was getting so cold we decided to just whack the thing up to full, which is how it's stayed for about 2 days now.

What I've noticed is when it was set on low, we were using around 0.8ft3 of gas every hour on the meter, however with it on full, its dropped down to around 0.4ft3 per hour!

I only have a very very basic understanding of how a boiler works, can someone explain to me why I'm suddenly using less gas?

Thanks

It could be down to the fact that you have already warmed the structure of the house using the boiler on low, and now the boiler is up on full, it does not have to do as much work.

Last edited:
Hi all hope someone can help me out here, currently have a combi boiler in our rented house, but we have no thermostat, therefore we've been leaving the heating on from 5am to 11pm with the radiator dial on a low setting just to keep the house warm, however because of the very cold weather we've had the last couple of days, it was getting so cold we decided to just whack the thing up to full, which is how it's stayed for about 2 days now.

What I've noticed is when it was set on low, we were using around 0.8ft3 of gas every hour on the meter, however with it on full, its dropped down to around 0.4ft3 per hour!

I only have a very very basic understanding of how a boiler works, can someone explain to me why I'm suddenly using less gas?

Thanks

I would check what gas you have used for the whole day when boiler is on full. I find it hard to believe you would use half the gas you did when you had the boiler set to min.Try the test again and record total gas used per day. Please post results.

it dose work out cheaper i've found to keep the house at a constant tempreture instead of heating it up fully and alowing it to go cold to heat it back up again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hotter = Less Gas????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock