Discuss Halstead Ace High in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stget02gt

Having a problem with the boiler not firing up for either hot water or central heating. Has been intermittent for a while but is now working only 1 in 10 times tried. The microswitchs activate but the burner only fires occasionally. I have noticed that sometimes the central heating just fires up and stops again after about 10 seconds when not required ( thermostat turned down and set to timed).I have taken off the outer casing and dropped front cover and the boiler started working for about 24 hours. I do not want to just change the PCB as it is expensive untill i can confirm that that is the problem. Could it be to do with the Air Pressure Switch and how do you test it? When the boiler does work it is fine getting hot water and rads heat up ok.

stg02gt Are you GSR? If so get yourself into the GSR only area where this can be better discussed, there are certain tests you can carry out but they're not for publishing in an open forum IMHO

Sounds like you know your way around the boiler by-the-way but that doesn't mean everyone reading this is the same :)

Thank you for your quick response. I am not GSR, I Have repaired the boiler a couple of times so have a basic understanding however this problem seems to be a bit awkward. If you think it might be the PCB then i am happy to change it. If you think it might be more envolved then i am happy to get someone in. I am trying to avoid the lets try this senario as it is an intermittent problem.

stget02gt .... I wouldn't rule out the PCB but it would be way down the pecking order of possibilities. 1 in 10 isn't to bad an intermittent to find. It's the once or twice a week scenario's that can be a parts swapping exercise! When you said
I have taken off the outer casing and dropped front cover and the boiler started working for about 24 hours
Did you leave the inner cover off the boiler or just the casing for the 24hrs?

Last edited by a moderator:
positive pressure boiler that one so if the case seals arnt sound you will get products of combustion leaking into your house so messing about with it is a no no terrible boiler anyway could be thermister but from experience p c b have it swapped mate for a good boiler i know people dont like spending money but is it really worth saving a few quid but putting yourself and family at risk leave it alone bite the bullet and pay someone who knows what they are doing

I have only taken off the outer casing at this stage. The problem has gone from being an issue nearly all the time to hot water working more times than not. I have not tested the heating in the last couple of days on account of us having a really hot June!!! I am assuming that if i can resolve the problem of the hot water not firing then it should resolve the heating as well.
I would also be suprised if this is a PCB problem as the situation has changed since i opened up the boiler.
Its good to hear that this make of boiler is held in high regard.
Any recommendations of a good replacement boiler?

tipping down the front proves the problem is electrical bad contact heat damaged harness or scabby contact so its got to be in the p c b area a good boiler replacement is a point of personal choice of budget or reliability usually both some swear by worcester some valliant both are good a reliable and cheap boiler is in my opinion main but i am sure others would disagree because they have had trouble with em but any boiler manufacturer will throw out the odd dud i have had bad worcester and valliant from time to time just deffo dont buy ravenheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Halstead Ace High in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back