Currently reading:
Halstead Ace Boiler gone into Lockout

Discuss Halstead Ace Boiler gone into Lockout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nicola G

Morning Folks,

I am a lawyer and not a plumber or technical whizz kid of any sort, but was looking for some guidance on our wretched bolier.

My other half ran a bath last night and when he was in it I was in the kitchen and heard a sort of hissing/dripping noise from the boiler area. I thought it might have been our outside tap still running, but when I looked out the window it was off.

There was no heating or hot water being ran at that point so I shouted on him and told him to come and have a listen. He turned the boiler off at the mains and then we switched everything back on. When we turned it off the hissing continued but when we turned it back on the hissing stopped, but the big red Lockout light came on and we have no heating or hot water.

The pressure dropped ever so slightly and so my he raised the pressure again to about 1 1/2 (which is where it was before when it was working). Still the same. The hissing noise hasnt started again but neither has the boiler.

I have asked a gas engineer to come and he is due tomorrow, but I would like to have an idea of what you guys think it might be before he comes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we had to shower in cold water this morning, which is less than pleasant !

Thanks

Nicola

Have you tried re-setting it? Depends on what model Ace you have, early or HE as to how to do this? the fault could be a multitude of possiblities, hissing could be steam? ya gonna have to wait for your gasman and hope it's nothing too serious! :)

Hi thanks for getting back to me

Yeah we tried to reset it last night but it didnt seem to make much of a difference. We have a reset switch - I take it that's what you mean ? I think the boiler is about 8 or 9 years old. It was in the house when we bought it seven years ago and if we were planning on staying we would buy a new boiler but we are hoping to sell within the year so dont really want to go to that expense - I have a sinking feeling though about it all.

It could really be anything Nicola, from a simple sticking switch to faulty pump ... etc. You're in the hands of whoever it is you called out :)

I recently Had an old halstead ace that was stuck on lockout turned out to be the pcb. PCB cost £160 + vat plus fitting etc

That's maybe not so bad then. I have this dread that it's gonna cost so much that I might as well buy a new one. Given that we hope to be offski soon, I really dont want to do that !

I'm sure somebody on here can recommend an engineer in your area?

Never had one so I will take your word for it ! You wouldnt want to know the law I do or noone would help me !!

Never had one so I will take your word for it ! You wouldn't want to know the law I do or noone would help me !!

You can't leave that hanging surely :)

In truth Nicola anyone out there's a customer no matter what. As long as they're civil they'll get my attention. Un-civil and they see my back walk out the door!

So come on then..... corporate law?

I've often thought a defence lawyer could be a challenging job .... especially when you're client is a blatant toe-rag, scumm of the earth!! lol

I didn't know the lawyering fraternity had a hierarchy of regard!! Although come to think about it I guess there is a chain of command and different levels of achievement and such! Is it as rewarding as getting and old dears heating back on in the middle of winter I wonder? :)

Well if I had been a defence lawyer I would agree with you. I tend to be the one who is rubbing her hands in glee at them getting the jail !

I'll bet your clients are much more attractive than the punters we have to deal with !

Well if I had been a defence lawyer I would agree with you. I tend to be the one who is rubbing her hands in glee at them getting the jail !

I'll bet your clients are much more attractive than the punters we have to deal with !

Well I've worked for many a variation of clients Nicola ... 5 years for social housing was an eye opener in many ways!! I'd imagine I've crossed paths with many who ended up feeling the likes of your wrath .. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Halstead Ace Boiler gone into Lockout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back