Currently reading:
Gas isolation valves

Discuss Gas isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bewsh

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
May sound like a stupid question, but, how can you tell the difference between a chrome quarter turn gas and water isolation valve?

Any markings on the valve which show what they're for?

Reason being is that I've capped a couple off believing them to be water valves and someone else has said that they are suitable for gas, but didn't explain why?

Cheers guys

usually a yellow handle indicates its for gas.
seen other colours, but with writing on the lever stating for gas.

sorry, I meant the slotted isolation valve, no handle.

The fact that its 1/4 turn

I bought a slotted iso with test point from bes ta other day. In the gas section. Must be ok.

Also, went into plumb centre today and bought their own brand of iso as he said it was for gas. It had a black handle but he insisted. Said it wad ok for all. So we just wrapped some gas identification tape on lever

being that £1.00 special offer service valves tend to leak water after a year or two is a good indication they arent any good for gas :)

so if it was just plain with no handle/colour indication and no branding, would you just cap it off?

I'd just swap it for an approved one. Just as quick as capping off and customer isnt going to moan at you

Ye but the company I work for don't put isolation valves on the van stock as I'm only service/maintenance and don't do installs for them. So I'd only have a cap option.

what happens when you need to replace a leaking service valve??

Well we have water isolation valves but not gas, if we need to replace them we'd have to order then and go back, so would have to cap.

But anyway, back to the original point, would you assume that they are just for water if unable to identify them or assume it's correct and they are for gas?

Back to basics…
From current BS 6891:2005
Installation of low pressure gaspipeworkof up to 35 mm (R1¼) indomestic premises(2nd family gas) —Specification

7 Fittings
7.1 Valves
Ball valves shall conform to BS EN 331 or PRS 1/E [10]. Plug valves shall conform to BS 1552.

Genuine ballofix are the only ones i know of that are suitable for gas. They have a different seating.
You can identify them if you know what they look like but if you are not sure then its your call.
The shut off slot can also be turned with a 2.5mm allen key. The valve is made in 2 parts and can be split they are longer and a couple of other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock