Discuss Gas hob ID or AR in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening everyone

LLGSC on a gas hob in a basement. No FSD abe of the control nobs had seized. Cut and capped, Immediately Dangerous warning notice issued.

A colleague says it should be AR and has phoned gas safe who also agree with him.

I have quoted the unsafe procedures on what grounds I have done this to my mate. I won’t say which one at the moment as I’m curious am I reading the good book wrong or am I right.

any opinions much appreciated

Was it leaking gas ?

i know unsafe procedures can’t give you every scenario and it’s down to your judgement but when I cut and capped the gas hob it’s was with below in mind

I believe it comes under section 7.4 appliance gas controls and safety devices that effect the safe operation of an appliance, which are inoperative, failing to danger, or are disabled. Classed as ID

having no fsd (obviously not helpful if someone does turn it on without realising) is not the issue it’s the fact that the gas control is seized/inoperative when me and him were talking he still reckons its AR and will ring gas safe again

Ar then as it wasn’t leaking

If it’s seized open then yes it’s id but as it’s not it’s at risk of someone opening it so ar

Definitely ID for me. I agree with your explanation and my understanding is if any user control on a gas hob/fire is inoperable/seized it should be capped. Essentially you have a gas appliance that is not working to the manufacturers requirements.

Definitely ID for me. I agree with your explanation and my understanding is if any user control on a gas hob/fire is inoperable/seized it should be capped. Essentially you have a gas appliance that is not working to the manufacturers requirements.
Just phoned up gas safe and had what I thought a reasonable conversation regarding above. The technical advisor told me it was ncs at first. when I said what about section 7.4 under appliances he started screamng at me and put the put the phone on me.

Did you catch his name?
No, as he kept reminding me it was a recorded line, I said good as I certainly wasn’t being abusive, raising my voice. He didn’t like the fact that I was asking difficult questions that he was unable to answer re 7.4, he did say we got a lot of calls regarding the above situation and the office has decided that it’s ncs. I presume my mate phoned the same office 24 hrs ago, he was told AR.

He really lost it when I said politely well it might be an idea to clarify this situation with a bulletin or when unsafe procedures are updated put a note in. Like what they have done with cooker. If a gas appliance is unstable its AR, note says exception of cookers

this is when he Scottish accent increased in intensity and pitch....

ncs, went out with noahs ark, it was used a lot of time as a get out, make YOUR choice id or ar.
if in doubt id. you have covered your self, capped. if some one else makes it ar then if it goes it*s up it not you gas safe is after.

Reply to Gas hob ID or AR in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back