Discuss flueing standards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhbrown

Gas Engineer
thought id throw a spanner in the works....... fanned flue nearly all mi's say 300mm to an openable window above,below,or alongside - window open or closed?

sorry my dyslexic questioning are we measuring the 300mm to a window with window open or closed it can make a difference.....

300mm from the opening in the building. So edge of brickwork.

ok let me try again flue to window when closed 300mm when window open the sash is then 100mm away from flue?......

300mm from the opening in the building. So edge of brickwork.

No it's 300mm to the open point of the window where the fumes could get in, it's 150mm to the fabric opening in a building, ie where the window frame is sealed to the brick ( as the seal could be burst allowing POC's in)

Sash so up and down yes?? If so that's an epic fail. If products of combustion re entering its ID. . GIUSP has clear guide on this .

A diagram or photo may help.

ok let me try again flue to window when closed 300mm when window open the sash is then 100mm away from flue?......

If the window is openable the 300mm is to the point where the window parts from the frame when it is open, if it's a fixed window you are looking at 150mm from the flue to the nearest part of the frame where is is fitted to the brickwork (which is called a fabric opening, ie window or door frame etc)

You are confusing the issue,
First things first it doesn't matter if the window is open or shut, the criteria is "can the window be opened or is it a dead light"
If it can be opened the flue must be more than 300mm from the opening, if it is dead light the flue must be 150mm from the fabric opening which is where the frame joins the brickwork, however just to throw a spanner in the works, the measurement should be taken from the edge of the flue, not the air intake pipe

The flue is parallel with the wall the window is in?

And the opening sash gets closer to the flue when it's opened?

If so the flue always stays 300mm from the opening in the fabric of the building, just the sash moves closer.

You are confusing the issue,
First things first it doesn't matter if the window is open or shut, the criteria is "can the window be opened or is it a dead light"
If it can be opened the flue must be more than 300mm from the opening, if it is dead light the flue must be 150mm from the fabric opening which is where the frame joins the brickwork, however just to throw a spanner in the works, the measurement should be taken from the edge of the flue, not the air intake pipe

kirk, do you happen to know where this is outlined in writing? I have alway said it is from the exhaust of the flue where others have argued it is from the intake. I'm sure I have seen it mentioned though that the window should be measured from the fabric opening although I don't agree with it myself, something to do with the window being replaced and the dimensions changing.

Would be good to get some clear clarification on this.

It's not the window itself that is a cause for concern, it's the opening that is created by opening the window. That said if the window opens and gets closer to the flue the window must either open out past 90 degrees, or they are on opposing walls, which is a bigger concern if the latter.

its from the outside of the flue (air intake) unless the manufacturer allows it to be closer when its plumed away. Normally 150mm with most manufacturers which is the min you must be away from the opening to avoid weakening the structure of the wall and stick to building regs. the reason its best to keep to the fabrics opening is to avoid having to prove you did right before a window was changed. whos to say a builder wont come along and alter whatever? you cant win sometimes.

Seems a bit of a grey area, I'm not disputing either of your opinions it's just that they are different! Would like to see it in writing to confirm as everyone has their own take on it.

kirk, do you happen to know where this is outlined in writing? I have alway said it is from the exhaust of the flue where others have argued it is from the intake. I'm sure I have seen it mentioned though that the window should be measured from the fabric opening although I don't agree with it myself, something to do with the window being replaced and the dimensions changing.

Would be good to get some clear clarification on this.

It's covered in BS 5440-1 flues,
The dimension of 150mm is to the fabric opening ie where the frame is sealed to the hole in the wall, and only relevant for a dead light window or these PVC frames you get with a large window pane next to a PVC door, on one side the flue would need to be 300mm from where the door opens, but on the other side it would be 150mm from where the PVC unit is sealed to the hole in the wall.
To me the statement is " a minimum clearance of 300mm from an opening to a flue" so what is the flue and what is the air intake, on a twin assembly the flue is in one position and needs to be 300mm from an opening but the air intake doesn't need to be 300mm as there are no POC's, so on a concentric flue/air intake assembly the 300mm must be from the edge of the flue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flueing standards in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back