Discuss Flue termination on external all in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eddiebrown424

hi ll

Silly question time again. As you know I m fairly new to this gas game. I went to complete a cp12 today and the flue wasnt sealed on either side where it penetrated the externall wall. I went outside to visually inspect the flue and the fitter had obviously not had a 2 stage ladder as there was a great big hole and the terminal (black part of the flue) was not even penetrating the wall. I have looked on line but cant find a minimum distance the flue terminal should penetrate. if i fit a boiler i try to have this bit protruding. I figured that each part would be an at risk so because there were 2 it would then become id.

is this right.

With thankks

Eddie

needs to be the cowl distance/rubber hole sealing disc

had just that on Friday, boiler worked fine once I set it up correctly on min/max rate. So had a chat with gas safe, of course ncs no longer exists, just notifiable but as the bloke on the phone said, if it were to move, fumes back track who was the last one there?? His advice, and I concur was to issue an AR warning on the flue, advice switch off (which they wont) and replace the flue to MFIs ie use the rubber seal as it should be done and preferably cement it in position.

so today got a call from the flat above them, can I check their flue, 5 m run and no fixings on it at all to support the flue!! seems the installer in this block was very special!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is all the required 'Air Intake' to the boiler coming from? How can exhaust fumes be safely discharged to outside if flue doesn't clear the wall? Not clever, that.

at least i could see most of the exhaust cowl none of the air intake though, if you cant see any of the exhaust cowl, its got to be id and cut off in my humble opinion. as the air in will have to mix with the pocs.

If I read it correctly, the terminal doesn't protrude passed the line of the building
AR at least, unless obvious signs of POC re-entering building
Though would of had a friendly,informative chat with owner about dangers etc and tried to get them to allow a flue replacement

hi ll

Silly question time again. As you know I m fairly new to this gas game. I went to complete a cp12 today and the flue wasnt sealed on either side where it penetrated the externall wall. I went outside to visually inspect the flue and the fitter had obviously not had a 2 stage ladder as there was a great big hole and the terminal (black part of the flue) was not even penetrating the wall. I have looked on line but cant find a minimum distance the flue terminal should penetrate. if i fit a boiler i try to have this bit protruding. I figured that each part would be an at risk so because there were 2 it would then become id.

is this right.

With thankks

Eddie
Incorrect on two AR makes it ID Eddie. If it's AR it is only ever AR no mater how many AR's you have.

You are getting confessed about the old ruling on open flue appliances where in your judgement two or more specific NCS relating to flue and ventilation could be elevated to AR if you choose!

The MI's not state the minimum distance the flue should protrude? Clearly AR though!

Last edited:
When the outer flue seal is fitted thats where the flue should extend to , i dont think I have ever seen a measurement in the MIs. So if theres no seal fitted , its a bit of guess work.

When the outer flue seal is fitted thats where the flue should extend to , i dont think I have ever seen a measurement in the MIs. So if theres no seal fitted , its a bit of guess work.
Worcester state 110mm for flue term from outside wall and Ideal have a diagram to show how flue term should protrude from wall but we know it is just common sense really!

Worcester state 110mm for flue term from outside wall and Ideal have a diagram to show how flue term should protrude from wall but we know it is just common sense really!

never fit WB ( orrible things ) so thats why I have never seen that measurement lol

Im pretty sure it should protrude at least 50mm unless MI say otherwise.
The other end of the scale is when you spot one sticking out about 2 and half foot for no damn good reason at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Thanks all particularly Graham m for putting me right on that ;-) valuable lessons learnt and info on here so thanks guys. The house is currently unlet so advised to shut down get new telescopic flue fitted before let begins but cocked up with the ID label.........

I've always AR if the flue isn't cemented on either the inside or outside even with a rubber seal. I've seen loads on a 5" core hole that just bounce up and down in the hole. One chap called me out as his flue had been pulled through the garage wall and been nicked!!!!!!

hi ll

is this right.

With thankks

Eddie

10 x AR's just make the install more at risk of something maybe happening, if something is ID it is ID,

I've defiantly seen some which state a min of flue through the wall, and some have an indentation on the air intake for the rubber collar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue termination on external all in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock