Search the forum,

Discuss Disconnecting Bidet in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

A simple procedure has turned difficult. I am trying to disconnect a floor-mounted bidet so I can change the click clack waste. All is straightforward apart from disconnecting the two flexible hoses to the mixer tap. I had expected the two isolators to make this easy but was unable to turn the nuts at their upper ends to release the flexible hoses. I now wonder whether the isolators are built in to the hoses. If that is the case, I would have to undo the compression joint on the (lower) mains supply side of the isolator which makes no sense. Obviously the water is turned off at the mains but inevitably some would get spilled onto the carpet etc.

I have attached a picture of the end of the flexible hose and the isolator. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 15
You need to hold the body of the valve steady with, say, an adjustable spanner, put a spanner on the top nut and heave to undo it, while taking all the reaction force on the adjustable. Don't put the bottom joint or pipe under undue stress.

That's a separate valve and hose.
The built in ones don't have a nut, they're crimped like below,,

View attachment 87372
You need to hold the body of the valve steady with, say, an adjustable spanner, put a spanner on the top nut and heave to undo it, while taking all the reaction force on the adjustable. Don't put the bottom joint or pipe under undue stress.
Thanks. Maybe the nuts are just extremely tight. I assume they do not have a left-hand thread - I’ve never seen one that does!?

It looks like they’ve run out of thread which can result in a tight metal/metal join where the nut hits the valve body - once you’ve cracked that joint I expect it to come undone easily.
To avoid this situation it is best to add an extra “shower hose” washer to the end of the flexi.

Thought I should post the outcome of this. I finally releases the two tight nuts at the end of the tap hoses. I had to use two huge spanner’s and even then it was far from easy. The whole of the first turn of the nut was very hard work.

There are black rubber washers in each tap hose but it does seem the nuts were more or less out of thread. When I reassemble it, should I use a fibre washer under the rubber one to gain a bit of thread?

Would recommend replacing the flexis and putting them on these so you will need one replacement valve eg

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/tesla...exible-tap-connectors-15mm-x-1-2-2-pack/2665r

OK, thanks for the good advice. However, what do you mean by needing one replacement valve?

You will need two nuts and olives for the compression side of the valve

Thanks again. The end of the tap hose remote from the tap, which connects with the isolator valve, is equipped with a nut and an internal rubber washer. Is that a problem? The sharp edge of the valve seems to cut into the washer.

Yes that’s the problem and that’s why the flexis need replacing now so you will need a new set of flexis and the kit I’ve linked above to stop it doing the same or some flat face isolation valves eg 1/2 x 15mm

Reply to Disconnecting Bidet in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock