Discuss Direct or indirect? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Pipes Plumbing and AWheating. Solar will contribute in autumn and spring but not for around 10 weeks in winter as the sun disappears behind a mountain ridge to the south. We're aware we won't need a lot of input from the solid fuel, hence designing the heat exchanger into the cook stove rather than space heating, because it will only be run for short periods.

Just out of interest where you doing this?

Gray0689, as I already said above "Solar will contribute in autumn and spring but not for around 10 weeks in winter as the sun disappears behind a mountain ridge to the south."

And since steveb appears to be employed by the NSA, an answer to the preceding question is redundant.

Indirect for me. Solar exchanger would be clogged after a few weeks. Hope the hex in the flue isn't something u have dreamed up ! Cooling flue gasses cause them to fall rattler than rise. You will end up with very sooty flue and high levels of co. Surely you would be better off with an old Rayburn or solid fuel back boiler? Or even a gasification log burner.
Not a expert in solid flues . But to add to this flue will end up
wirh condensation too ( something I have been told from dad )

In principle, yes, but it depends on how you build the stove and incorporate the heat exchanger as to how much impact this has. If cooling flue gasses were the only factor in the equation, badeofens wouldn't work as efficiently as they do.

Wouldn't it be easier and safer to install aga? Flue mods best done by mfr and on a known system ..

It sounds like your going to be adding a flue hex to a stove not designed or purposely designed for it . I would be intouch with mfr before I did anything. Smoked fish is nice , smoked cakes and dead punters not so.

Gray0689, as I already said above "Solar will contribute in autumn and spring but not for around 10 weeks in winter as the sun disappears behind a mountain ridge to the south."

And since steveb appears to be employed by the NSA, an answer to the preceding question is redundant.

And who or what makes this HE for the flu

Thanks Reg Man. What's your reasoning for suggesting indirect for the solid fuel? Yes, that circuit will be gravity fed and no, I wouldn't dream of using plastic for the expansion/header tank. This installation isn't in the UK, so I can't phone my local HETAS-registered engineer, but I will probably be sourcing the hot water cylinder here because of price and availability. How do I tell whether a cylinder is suitable for a gravity circuit?
Ok a bit late returning, I think most of this has been answered. The regulations for appliances and flues are supposed to be harmonised with European Standards, I say that is what is supposed to happen but we all know it is not enforce so rigorously in some countries. I think the indirect side of this question is easy to overcome, ask the manufacturer if the off the shelf hot water vessel is suitable for gravity systems, or get a bespoke one made that is suitable. So the other part of the installation relating to the stove heat exchanger and flue. This would worry me, It is going to be nothing but problems and could kill you. With solid fuel appliances and flues, always use an approved appliance and install the flue to the EU standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Direct or indirect? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock