• Thread starter buckley plumb
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 145

Discuss dilemma in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been gas safe or corgi for years and I can count the number of times I've been asked for my card on one hand!

Yep. No one ever asks for my card. With new customers I may offer it to them as I enter their property. No ones really interested!

Back to the issue with landlords and mates, I had one last week.

My mate calls me, and says his electric shower is knackered will I take a look. He can't get hold of his landlord who lives in India, but he would pay me and sort it with the landlord.

I pop over, the shower a Triton was put in on 2.5mm T&E. Mini trunked, but with cable exposed at the bottom of the shower. The isolation pull switch had the string missing.

Then the fuse board was the old, fashioned Wylex cartidge type with a fuse wire not an MCB. As you can guess, no RCD either.

I explained what would happen in a fault situation, that enough current would have to pass through him to blow the rather thick fuse wire backing it up, and no one would be able to pull the isolation cord as it was missing (not that it would matter as he'd have fried by then).

Gave him the number of a good sparky and bid him goodbye.

Saw him at the pub yesterday, asked if he called Nick my sparky. No, he spoke to the landlord who said he would send one of his own guys. I just know that the landlords own guy will do a staight swap as you can still buy the exact same Triton shower. I've warned my mate to not let that happen.

Tenants are fairly vunerable. I should know I rented for years and had some terrible landlords.

tell him to get a copy of the minor electrical works certificate (whatever its called) when the work gets done and to ask him for proof he is a registered electrician before hes even in the door. If he gets a blank look i would advise him to get somebody in to put it right and take it off his rent.

undersize cable, re wireable fuse, exposed cables....... its asking for a fire or worse death imo.

Last edited:
I know. I told him exactly what you said. Trouble is anyone can buy a minor works certificate book. It's ID he'll need in my opinion.

I wouldn't get under that shower, put it that way.

i'm surprised the cable hasn't melted with the current needed. what size shower was it danny?

8.5 Kw. I'm shocked too. Quite a short run and a single clipped cable. I reckon it would melt if you had a long enough shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to dilemma in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock