Discuss defination of non openable window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob150811

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
does anyone know the gas safe definition of non openable window I,ve had a murderous day I spotted an openable window 310mm horizonally away from a balanced flue thorn emi m44/54c between 14-31kw what must I do to make this hindged openable window deemed fixed shut it has been like at fo 30+ years but the dimesion is 600mm and I classified it as id

Its depends on the locking mechanism but on modern upvc windows, I would close window as normal and remove handle. You can get blanks to cover the handle fixing points

i also got told to put a bead of silcon around the inside of the window to as as another seal. I think this is a bit too far

i remember reading that case,its not right the engineer got done whoever changed the window should have got sentenced or whoever was doing the maintenance of the boiler
they screwed it shut originally and were the primary offenders, then they didnt notice the issues once some other idiot opened up the window by using a new one! so a mixture of cock ups but someone gets a kick in the nuts and its us, as they didnt do it right in the first place.

So does that mean we don't install within say 300mm, for a ff boiler, of a non openable window incase some decides to change it in the future

But the mi say we can, so as far as I'm concerned, I've followed the regs.

It doesn't say in the mi, you can, but be careful of some idiot in the future changing the window

btw, the boiler in the hotel must have been burning wrong too for that scenario to happy. It obviously lacked a service or two

But the mi say we can, so as far as I'm concerned, I've followed the regs.

It doesn't say in the mi, you can, but be careful of some idiot in the future changing the window

btw, the boiler in the hotel must have been burning wrong too for that scenario to happy. It obviously lacked a service or two

think i read somewhere else it was pumping out bad nox through a gasvalve being changed and not set up correctly

think i read somewhere else it was pumping out bad nox through a gasvalve being changed and not set up correctly

I believe that was the case, but if the flue was positioned ok originally the old boy might still be around

So does that mean we don't install within say 300mm, for a ff boiler, of a non openable window incase some decides to change it in the future

But surely if at the time of the install the window is non-opening ie fixed panel then you ok to install to mi's and if some one later changes it to opening that is there fault, as all person making alteration to a building have to be at least aware of other trades and regs!
Ie. if a builder blocks up an air vent because the customer complained of the draft that would be the builder fault not yours for the original install!

But i would be careful of screwing it shut and the like though.

After a recent meeting with a pleb sorry gas inspector , regardless if you remove the locking handle hinge and screw it shut - in there eyes it's still classed as a openable window

had similar issue at the w/end id the boiler because balanced flue is 80mm from openable window landlord just had window replaced now will have to replace the replacement so it complies. a window screwed shut could easily end up being unscrewed by a keen diyer

just a side point, in the GIUSP ED 6, 8.4
flues in close proximity to windows etc

it states that it would be classed as ID "following an assessment"
where CO was entering the room and the levels over 10 ppm and rising

squinting at my mobile didnt read the guidance properly should have been ar. had never come across this situation before, i learned something new today

I thought it is NCS if too close to an openable window but with no co entering the room

same here spoke to gas safe last year same sinareo boiler near door old glowworm balanced flue - was told boiler has been like that for years fit a carbon monoxide alarm and check no co entering property and class as ntcs . but at the end of the day its our call always play it safe

I would say it is AR because you dont know how appliance fumes react in different climatic conditions

the regs say that it would be id if following a test co level was 10ppm and rising but doesn't say what classification would be if the appliance passes test i would still say ar because it's so close to the window and there is a gas cooker in the kitchen which is another possible source of co and as glenn01 said the weather conditions may be more or less favourable on test day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to defination of non openable window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back