Discuss commercial plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scotty plumber

Ok so today i got sent to an old folks high-rise home to look over a pump,Turns out the pump in question was one of two very large pumps feeding an enormous h/w cylinder from an enormous c/w storage tank, all copper and fittings was done in 3"! Do any of you guy's touch this sort of stuff? Do you need to be specially trained? Was i right to tell my line manager i ad never touched this side of plumbing before? Cheers

The scope for disaster is enormous of you're not sure what you're doing so I'd say you were right.

If not confident to work on it you was right in saying so, what would he have said if you tried and messed up and flooded the place?

Do you need to be specially trained?

Can you name something in plumbing that it wouldn't be best to be trained on before you tackle it solo? This is only ever more the case the bigger and more complicated things get. Right decision on your part.

Thing is my work know fine that i am a domestic plumber so i don't know why they sent me there in the first place, Just wondered at what point in your plumbing career you would class yourself as a commercial plumber?

We all take on some things we haven't taken on before but only when we judge them one step ahead of what we're used to or we've got a good idea of what to expect. You've got to push your boundaries now and then but I wouldn't dream of touching that sort of stuff unless I was working with someone who knows how to do it because as has been said the potential for what could go wrong justifies knowing what you're doing.

Cheers watertight that is exactly what i wanted to hear, I am very confident in what i do but some times like today i looked at the h/w pump the size of a car engine feeding 30+ flats and thought to myself ( what the hell am i supposed to do with this????? )

Just wondered at what point in your plumbing career you would class yourself as a commercial plumber?

i dont think it matters if you have been plumbing 2 hours or 20 years, if you aint commercial you aint commercial

Last edited:
some times you have to step up a gear and its best to do it on some one elses time.the theory is of plumbing doesnt realy change its just the size of the items
ive always been inquizative and the chance to play with big boys toys would have been to good to miss
what did the company want you to do ? was there a fault on some thing? if it was just a check over you probably just needed to switch from one pump to the other to check they were both working and if there were preasure guages present check delivery preasuese were similar
if there were inline strainers you may have needed to shut down and check they were clear
they good thing with comercial setups is you can see it all in front of you like a giant meccano set

Basically it was to check over a possible faulty pump ( one of two ) feeding a h/w cylinder so that's what i did a ( visual check :drunk: ) seriously though some of the commercial stuff is scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to commercial plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock